REI 20% off One Item

scamlin

Here's a tip if you want to paddle in cold water.

REI is having it's annual 20% off one item sale. If you've been eyeing an expensive drysuit or paddling jacket, this could be the time to get it. (Assumes stock sizes fit you.) If you're an REI member, you can apply your rebate as well.

http://www.rei.com/index.jsp?cm_ven=email&...v1_gm&id=header

Follow the link below to the Kokotat gear where they have full drysuits with relief zippers for both men and women. Note the cheaper TROPOS Super Nova suits are not fully waterproof.

If you can't swing a drysuit, the Action Jacket is my favorite: the GoreTex breathes well, the latex gaskets keep your arms dry and the neck opens to ventilate. Very versitle and comfortable.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?sto...0&query=kokotat

I have no interest in REI other than being a member for 35 years.

Scott

>I have no interest in REI other than being a member for 35

>years.

Boy I bet you get comments at the register about what a low number you have. Which feels good until they call you Mr. Scamlin in a loud voice..right?

Ed Lawson

• 3 weeks later...

Great deal.... I just ordered a 210 Werner Cyprus for $304 ($295 after my dividend). That's a tough deal to beat (and if you know how to beat it I don't want to hear about it because it's already on the way LOL).

Cheers, Joe

>Great deal.... for $304

>($295 after my dividend)

If you get an REI sponsored credit card and use it as your main credit card you may not get airline miles, but you get a huge dividend check from REI that enables you to walk in and get lots of neat gear for free every spring.

Ed Lawson

>If you get an REI sponsored credit card and use it as your

>main credit card you may not get airline miles, but you get

>a huge dividend check from REI that enables you to walk in

>and get lots of neat gear for free every spring.

You get most of the dividend even if you pay with another credit card... I think they knock off only 2% of the 10% or so they usually return. Or, pay with a check or cash and get it all.

Of course, I believe the REI card is 1% cash back on all purchases, which is about as good a deal as you'll find on any CC, generally much better and less complicated than airline miles. I happen to already have a CC like that, so I don't want to apply for the REI card. Remember, even a credit card application, whether you get/take the card or not, takes points off your FICO credit score.

--David.

>

>Of course, I believe the REI card is 1% cash back on

>all purchases, which is about as good a deal as

>you'll find on any CC

That is the point I attempted to make. Years ago the REI card was offered to all members automatically, but I suppose those simpler days are long gone just like when you used to call to order and the people taking the order knew the stuff you were ordering and often had used it.

Ed Lawson

>>

>>Of course, I believe the REI card is 1% cash back on

>>all purchases, which is about as good a deal as

>>you'll find on any CC

>

>That is the point I attempted to make.

Right... just pointing out that the 1% CC cash-back is a totally different thing than the patronage rebate, which runs around 10%.

Now if REI would only give the patronage rebate at the cash register, they would blow away all the other stores even more. Hmmm... that may be why they don't do it -- apart from the uncertainty about whether there will indeed be money in the bank (the equivalent of profit) for the rebate at year end.

--David.

>

>Now if REI would only give the patronage rebate at the cash

>register, they would blow away all the other stores even

>more.

It might be crass business reasons, but it might be due to the fact REI remains, I think, what it started as which was a C0-OP for climbers. When I was a climber many years ago nobody talked about REI, it was just the "CO-OP". So like all co-ops they distribute profits to the members every year.

Ed Lawson

>It might be crass business reasons, but it might be due to

>the fact REI remains, I think, what it started as which was

>a C0-OP for climbers.

You really think so? Seems to me that they are now a full-blown retail business in pretty much the same space as EMS and others -- and they cater to all kinds of sports besides climbing. In fact, I bet climbing is now a small fraction of their business.

As for coop-ness and membership, they invite everybody who walks in the door to join. You sure don't have to be a climber or even a fanatic about any particular outdoorsy sport.

All in all, REI seems pretty indistinguishable from EMS to me, except a whole lot better on most dimensions.

Given that, the patronage rebate at the end of each year is truly incredible. What other store in any market has already decent prices -- lots better than EMS, for example -- then then knocks 10% more off at the end of the year?

--David.

>

>You really think so? Seems to me that they are now a

>full-blown retail business in pretty much the same space as

>EMS and others -- and they cater to all kinds of sports

>besides climbing. In fact, I bet climbing is now a small

>fraction of their business.

>

Oh I agree. Its just that is how it all started in 1938 when some folks started a co-op to provide decent climbing stuff and I think they try to make it seem its still a co-op. Its still a great place to go for lots of little hard core stuff, but the mass merchandise stuff is mainly it nowdays.

Ed Lawson

...just too tempting...

I use the REI VISA card for business (when Discover is not taken) and the rebate is great. Two years ago got my GPS for free, got my camping gear the year before. This year - spare paddle, drybags, and ???

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

Actually, they're still a coop but, like many coops and "non-profits," they take in lots of cash and the management is well compensated I'm sure. Great outfit, though, and wish they had a store in tax-free NH though ;-)

>Actually, they're still a coop but, like many coops and

>"non-profits," they take in lots of cash and the management

>is well compensated I'm sure. Great outfit, though, and

>wish they had a store in tax-free NH though ;-)

Definitely. They tend to have a much better selection than EMS in my experience.

Cheers, Joe

>Overall, I think they're

>both overpriced with only average quality gear.

Marmot, Salomon, Kokatat, Werner, Asolo, Shimano (they carry Dura Ace components, it really doesn't get much better than that for road cycling... unless you have an affinity for overpriced, overweight Italian components :-) ), etc. So, I gotta disagree with you there, that's all top quality gear. Their day to day prices are nothing stellar but they hold members only sales a few times a year and there's some great deals to be had (such as a Werner Cyprus for $304). I don't know of any other brick and mortars that do a whole lot better price wise as they all have significantly more overhead than an online store. Unlike an online store though you can't try stuff out before you buy it so there is some value in that.

Obviously they carry A LOT of different products so in a lot of cases they may not have the best selection. For example, if I want a Chris King headset, a 14/15/14 DT stainless steel spoke, and a set of Conty GP3K 700x23c tires I'm not going to REI. That would be my complaint, lack of selection if you're really into something. Still, I often find some good deals. I just bought a really nice hat with Gore Tex in it for $10 bucks as well as a Kokatat bala... a head thingy for a good price as well.

FWIW... if you know of any good brick and mortars that have a really good selection of tents and other camping gear lemmee know because I'm going to be going on a shopping spree soon (if it's in southern NH, even better).

Cheers, Joe

Can't beleive I went and used both my 20% and my member dividend and ended up getting a suitcase.

I need serious help. Alex, where are you when I need you to tell me what to buy? (Actually, I can't think of anything I need right now but good weather, and TIME. I don't think REI stocks either.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

This influence Alex has on you and your purchases... just how much influence does she have???

(Psssttt... Alex... tell him to buy me an Anas or a Pintail).

Cheers, Joe

>Brand name doesn't mean top quality, statistically it means

>average quality...

In many cases sure but not with the examples I gave. I don't see how REI is a whole lot different from any other store in terms of the quality of stuff they carry, it's the same stuff shipped from the same distributors made by the same manufacturers. Lack of selection can sometimes be an issue with certain things. Some departments are better stocked than others. Anyhow... I couldn't pass up a Cyprus for $304. I've never seen a new all carbon Werner go for that little brand new.

Cheers, Joe

>>Brand name doesn't mean top quality, statistically it means

>>average quality...

>

>In many cases sure but not with the examples I gave.

Yup, even with those examples. Quality is a subjective notion. Even if one believes something to be top quality, even if alot of people do, it's not proof enough that it is top quality. There are no empirical studies showing that in fact those brands are "top quality".

In the end it doesn't really matter...as long as the stuff gets us out on the water...

>Yup, even with those examples. Quality is a subjective notion.

Disclaimer - Given the nature of this medium and the fact that you can't hear my inflection or cadence, or see my facial expressions and hand gestures please understand that I don't mean to be confrontational and I don't have my flame thrower out... I just enjoy a really good debate from time to time and I think I may have found someone who also enjoys a good debate. :-) With that said.....

Perhaps with regards to the science of economics it is subjective (I know little about that field so I can't debate there), but when it comes to something like software engineering quality can be, and is objectively quantifiable. I used to do that for a living as the manager of a software quality assurance department. You can view the metrics over time and see an increase in stability. More importantly if you're doing your job right you can spot warning signs that the quality is decreasing and this is very important because in software engineering the cost of development and time to release directly corresponds to how quickly defects can be identified. The methods my department used were precise and quantifiable. You can't go up to the CEO of a company and say "yeah, I vetoed this software release because, well, in my opinion this isn't really ready and I just feel that it needs a little more time to cook". That sort of thing wouldn't fly. They want to make money and if you're telling them their product sucks you'd better have some rock solid supporting data to prove your case.

If quality was subjective then we'd just let the sales and marketing departments determine when to release a product and that would be bad because their standard is "Hey, it compiled.... GREAT... SHIP IT!!!!" (OK... that was a low and unfair... my apologies to any sales and marketing folks out there... I just couldn't resist :-).

Anyhow, I'm not talking about a bunch of people's opinions with regards to what they think about the product... that has nothing to do with quality. Often people like quality products but that's besides the point. Quality can be measured either relatively to determine if x is of a higher quality than y or it can be measured against a set industry standard. That's why we have standards in industry (such as the International Standards Organization... if you want to be ISO 9001 certified it means that you must conform to certain established industry standard methodologies for measuring, documenting and reporting the quality of your products), to ensure that products meet a minimum level of quality.

With a tent there are a number of things you can quantify. Breathability, aerodynamic properties (how much wind can you throw at it without it blowing away), how watertight is it, how puncture resistant is it, how long will it last for a given set of conditions, etc.

Let's say you have a bulletproof tent but it weighs a lot and you don't like it because of the weight. That says nothing about the quality of the product, that's just your own preference with regards to features. That is very subjective and also different from quality.

Cheers, Joe