paddling and camping at Cape Hatteras?

glil

Has anyone done any paddling at Cape Hatteras and have any suggestions for paddling ideas and/or camping in the area? Also, has anyone rented kayaks there? I will be there for a family reunion and want to fit some kayaking in.

Thanks, Gay

Hi Gay - I have done just a tiny bit of kayaking in Avon, just north of the elbow of Cape Hatteras - borrowed a two-place sit on top from a house we rented to spend a week windsurfing. I don't know if you are familiar with the area, but you basically have your choice of the ocean (outside) or the sound (inside). The surf is extremely heavy - does not seem all that big, but it is deceptively powerful. So unless you are very experienced in such conditions, that leaves the sound.

The sound is basically flat water, although it can get windy and choppy. Depending on where you are, the shoreline can be anything from sandy to muddy to marshy. At many places (such as Avon) the water is not consistently deep until you get past the sandbar, which is a couple of miles offshore. Inside the bar the depth can vary from several inches to over your head; average depth is probably 4 feet. The bar itself can be a fun place to visit - it's only ankle deep in many places and is a fun place to play around.

So if you're there anyway, kayaking would be fun, although I would not make a special visit. Sunsets are spectacular!

T.

Gay, on the subject of camping, from what I have seen the campgrounds are not really tent-camping places, but more of the "pull up the RV, hook up the sewage line, fire up the generator, set the TV under an awning and crack open a beverage" variety. Thought I'd mention that as I suspect most NSPN folks are more of the tent-camping style.

Also, on the subject of beverages, all of Dare County (the Outer Banks) is dry except for beer and wine. So if you absolutely have to have a gin & tonic, bring your own or it's a long, long drive.

T.

Thanks for the information. Found some camping options in the AAA camp book and found a Guide to Sea Kayaking in North Carolina book which will be helpful.

Gay

• 3 weeks later...

I camped at False Cape State Park on the VA/NC border in December. Great paddling spot. On the way in, there are a couple outfitters renting boats. Also, at our campsite there were a bunch of rentals. So you wouldn't even need to transport the kayak. My pics are coming at letsgo2sea.com. Check back soon.