Gordon Brown's book

Ben Fuller

Just got my copy. Sea Kayaking for the intermediate and advanced paddler. It is something that any paddler would want for the holidays. Despite some references to skinny sticks that some would find less than flattering, the book is the first one to acknowledge skinny sticks. The photos are spectacular as are the drawings.

I think getting one is a web project right now, but if there are any retailers listening, it would be a good one.

This being an unsolicited mini review.

Of course with this warm weather, book paddling becomes less interesting.

>>...references to skinny sticks that some would find less than flattering...

>

>Envy is at the heart of many insults and otherwise

>unflattering remarks.

If you search the archives at

http://www.qajaqusa.org/

You will see the extended discussion on this point and the fact he has used GPs for sometime and has no aversion to them so his comments may or may not have been taken out of context by the "traditionalists". I read his comment to say GPs were not the tool for the more "sports" oriented segment of kayaking as opposed to they had no place in kayaking generally.

Ed Lawson

I have never heard a disparaging remark about greenland sticks from any Euro bladophiles, or anyone else for that matter, only admiration, appreciation and respect. Nor have I sensed any envy towards traditionalists; Greenland sticks are easy enough to use, and cheaper to boot ,so anyone who felt envy would just get one and use it.

Different strokes for differ… aww that’s too trite to even say here …

"Alone,alone, all, all alone.

Alone on a wide wide sea..."

-Coleridge

>If negative remarks were made, who cares?

Bingo!

I thought its about having fun messing around with/in boats.

Whats fun is for each to discover in their own way and should not be a concern of others.

Well, granted there are those safety issues and such.

Ed Lawson

Yes, currently you can only order the book directly from the UK (hardcover) for about $32 USD including shipping.

After doing some searching I came up with this from B&N.

It will be available in the U.S. in paperback (around 12/28) for about half the hardcover UK price.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...06173&itm=1&z=y

That makes some warped sense. Those of you who travel to the UK know that the same book is close to double the US price. Will be interesting to see if the US edition is the same high grade moisture proof paper. At the US price it is the bargain of all time. Even if it stayed at UK price. Delta is about 3 lattes.