Surf Anyone?

EEL

I went by Plum Island today near the mouth of the Merrimack... no, not with a boat, I just wanted to walk around and see what things looked like. Buoys were saying 12 foot waves but they certainly didn't look that big to me although what was hitting the beach on the south side of the breakwater was fast and furious. Inside the breakwater there were 3 surfers catching some rides as well as a seal that was checking out the surfers. I wish I had brought some binoculars with me as it looked like a little further out things may have been a little more fierce (I was definitely spotting some tubes) but without some magnification I couldn't really tell how big they were.

I'd say that inside the breakwater there were 4 to 7 footers (more towards 4 to 5 footers) and outside the breakwater was 6 to 8 or 9 footers.

Cheers, Joe

Withe the wind out at Boston Buoy coming from around SE all day...

http://tinyurl.com/y4mw5w

and starting Friday afternoon at around 15:00...

http://tinyurl.com/yffj95

you probably would have seen a lot more action at the SE facing beaches on Cape Ann -- Good Harbor Beach, Long Beach. At the Merrimack, S-SE swell was somewhat in the shadow of Cape Ann.

--David.

Was up in Acadia NP this weekend and the surf on the southeast facing areas was spectacular yesterday. Swells were running from around 10 to 18 feet with wind gusts to 60KT. Bridge from MDI was closed for around 8 hours due to fallen utility poles so it was a very late return last night ;-)