Updated list of Put Ins.

jason

I've used this list many times, so let me add my thanks.

Also a note about the Wellfleet put-in. I was there this summer at Powers Landing and happened to be by my car when a town official came around ticketing cars. Seems that you cannot use that parking area during the summer season unless you are a Wellfleet resident. He kindly gave me only a verbal warning; others were not so lucky. He said, "Hey, there's a huge parking area over by the marina, why can't you just park there?" The reason is that it makes for a longer paddle and more boat traffic to get out to Great Island. But between mid-June and Sept, that is what is required.

If changes are still being made to the list of put-ins I'd suggest this info be added to the Wellfleet listing.

kate

Great job Gillian!!! Thanks for the updates.

As if you haven't done enough work already I have one more for the list so... I'll raise my hand and volunteer to update the list and take ownership of it if help is needed in that area.

Forrest River Park in Salem. For GPS users find by intersection and enter West Circle and West Ave. in Salem and that will get you there. Link to Google Maps.... http://tinyurl.com/njfac

Cheers, Joe

Hey guys! Keep 'em coming!!! I know I need to update the new exits in Maine, but other than that any corrections just send to my email and I periodically send them to Billy (thank you!!!) who puts them up on the site . . .

>Hey guys! Keep 'em coming!!! I know I need to update the

>new exits in Maine,

Ask and ye shall receive. The listing for Cousins Island still shows it as Stockton Springs which is wrong. Cousins Island is in Yarmouth, ME.

I still think it best not to indicate launch sites in downtown Stonington.

If you want descriptions for Lands End which is at the end of Baily Island, the parking lot near H2O Outfitters at the other end of Bailey Island, and the marina on Harspwell for Casco Bay paddles; the Beals Island town ramp on Great Waas, the South Addison town ramps, and Roque State Park beach which are used for exploring Great Wass area; Seal Cove and Seal Harbor launch sites on MDI; Round Pond and Broad Cove Marine for access to western Muscongus Bay; and the Kittery Town dock, Fort Foster, and the roadside location on Chauncey Creek used for launching trips for Gerrish, York, and Portsmouth harbor paddles let me know. Not sure if the demand would justify space.

These are public enough to not be local knowledge items.

Ed Lawson

The Powers Landing beach parking is definitely sticker-only in season, though I believe it's OK to use it off season. But I'm not 100% sure, nor do I recall exactly what the season is.

In any case, here is a nearby put-in for Wellfleet that is good any time, in a beautiful spot, and also well away from boat traffic. It's on the Herring River (watch out -- there is another Herring River elsewhere on the Cape). There is room for 10-20 cars, but it can get filled later in the day on a nice summer weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/ej7xn

Coordinates are 41.932000 -70.066150, a form you can put into Google Maps to get a visual or directions.

Directions -- Continue down Chequessett Neck Road past Powers Landing less than a mile until you cross a bridge. Immediately on the left after the bridge is a road leading to a dirt parking lot and launch point on the river.

You can launch there at any tide level, but at low the paddleable channel out is a bit narrow. You can also head back up the Herring River a ways through undeveloped territory, but I have not personally done that.

Another nice thing about this parking lot is access on foot to some beautiful beaches that, because it is a bit of a hike, are not heavily used. Just walk toward the ocean and climb through the dunes on one of the well-marked paths.

--David.

ditto with Ed on the Stockton Springs/Cousins Islands error---I'm sure it stems from the fact that there is a Sandy Beach Point in Stockton Springs and another Sandy Beach Point on Cousins Island--the fact is that the two places are about 100 miles apart---some poor lost soul from Massachusettes is someday going to go 100 miles out of their way. BTW there is good paddling in both places.

Hey there Ed, I think the more the merrier but I'll bring it up at the next board meeting and see if there are any limits on how much we want up there or we may want to even link to another page for additional paddling put-ins . . . I'll make sure to get the Cousins Island fixed asap - thanks guys!