A bowline is that easy...

bob budd

I have a series of 8 photos that depict how to tie this knot in 2 seconds. I would like to share this with the general readership, but lack the wherewithall to post this to a weblink. Is there a kind soul out there to whom I could E my photos, for placement on such a site? Yes-thank you David Lewis.

Gary

Get a MAC :) - link works fine with Safari, Firefox (1.5.0.7) and Camino.

In Boy Scouts I learned it this way: the rabbit comes up out of the hole, goes around the tree and back into the hole. The hard part is making sure you make the hole by taking the short end of the line and looping it over the long end and bringing the rabbit up from underneath - you either tie it correctly or it falls apart.

>...not a browser. If you mean Firefox, it doesn't work with

>version 1.5.07, which is the current version.

By not work do you mean the blue animated rope does not display for you??

What OS are you using? I see the animated rope here using Fox 1.5.07 under Win2000 and Linux (Debian Unstable)

Ed Lawson

Yes, it's true. Dial-up only. And, no cable TV, no Starbucks, no nothing. Y'all just stay south of the border.... nothing to see here

;-)

>Maybe you need something other than dial-up, that's all they

>have north of the border in Cow Hampshire, isn't it?

Of course we have more than dial up. Obviously you are only familiar with the southern tier/quasi Mass. part. Up here we don't dial, we crank a bit, Shirley answers, and we give her the name of the person we want to talk to. So much easier than trying to remember all those numbers.

Ed Lawson

>Ditto on the rabbit and the hole---this whole thread could

>be "How many techies does it take to learn how to tie a

>bowline?"

Ok, I'm a closet geek, but I am not a techie. So how many of you non-techies or techies know the two ways to tie a bowline that results in a "bowline" knot and why the one shown is the better way to tie the knot? Bonus points for the easiest way to make the knot secure from accidentaly coming loose.

Ed Lawson

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlineboating

says when the bitter end (why's it called that? - that wasn't covered in boy scouts) is on the outside of the loop, rather than in the middle, as shown, its called a "Dutch Marine" or "Left handed" bowline - and the Dutch navy claims its better. Also has interesting discussions on improving its safety.

This is a great site by the way - lots of info.

>Ok, I'm a closet geek, but I am not a techie. So how many

>of you non-techies or techies know the two ways to tie a

>bowline that results in a "bowline" knot and why the one

>shown is the better way to tie the knot? Bonus points for

>the easiest way to make the knot secure from accidentaly

>coming loose.

>

>Ed Lawson

Bright Yellow WS - Tsunami 145

With firefox, mozilla & seamonkey you need to set

Animated images should loop to once or "As many times as the image specifies" if it is set to never you will not see the knot.

-Jason