Nigel Foster in Nov

paulariegel

Hi Folks,

We have the opportunity to have Nigel Foster back again this fall in early Nov. He's traveling overseas prior to the SKG symposium in late Oct, so begining of Nov was the earliest weekend he could accomodate us.

Last year we did a beginner surf class 1st day and an advanced surf class 2nd day - tho I believe due to lack of conditions the 2nd day became more a boat handling class. My questions for the membership are: What mix of classes would you like to see? For example, we could again do a beginner long boat & advanced long boat surf class, or a short boat and long boat surf class, or a surf class and another type of class, like boat handling.

For anyone not familiar with Nigel, please check out this link:

http://www.nigelfosterdesigns.com/

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Paula

NDK Exp-LV

VCP-Anas Acuta

Paula,

I like the idea of a basic surf class one day and an advanced the next, with the possibility of boat handling skills if the conditions don't materlize. Long boat would be better given that most of the club doesn't have short boats (I also want the long boat class so this last claim might be biased ;)

>My questions for the membership are: What mix of classes

>would you like to see?

I agree with Kevin on nature of classes. I believe Nigel is best known for surfing and boat control so might as well play to his strengths so to speak.

Ed Lawson

I would also agree with Kevin that one day on beginning and second on advanced would be good. I don't know how many in NSPN are new to kayaking as I am, but this sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

Ditto Kevin for the most part. I would recommend a beginner and advanced surf class, with directional/boat control as a backup for the beginner class(in the event of no surf) and rocks & ledges as a backup for the advanced surf class.

I remember hearing lots of raves about the beginner surf class last fall ; people really appreciated the patience and attention that they received and how much they learned;

it would seem a natural to repeat. The advanced surf class was a washout: no conditions, so we repaired to a nearby pond and did directional control instead. Advanced surf (in long boats) would be a natural, as well, especially since we missed it last year: I would vote for rocks/ledges as the advanced surf class back up.

Could "basic" versus "advanced" be quantified somehow? I don't recall last year's course descriptions. I'd be in the long-boat camp only because that's what I use and would look to a rocks and ledges course as a backup to surf if the surf is a no-show.

that sounds awesome!!!!might have to come up from RI for it...

jsut a note as well...

if you are looking for surf...

RI surf Kayak comp/festival is one of-yes one of depending on waves- the first 3 weekends in November......

if it is surf you are looking for and want to learn more come on down....it will be in Little Compton RI (next to Fall River and Wesport) this year......

go and see Nigel then then come down and surf with us!!!!!!!

(and no i am not paid to mention this-jsut thought that it went well with you guys having a class upthere....)

btw: where is the nigel foster class???would love that.....ROCK gardens!!!

rob