Great Geenland Class

EEL

Yesterday, Gail and I atttended the Greenland class by Cheri and Turner and it was a most productive and enjoyable experience. My thanks to all those responsible for arranging the class. Even if you have no interest in pursuing the use of a GP, you should seriously consider taking this class if you have the opportunity.

After four hours we had three very reliable Greenland rolls in our boat along with a adequate familiarity with basic Greenland strokes to explore them on our own. Maybe a Brooks tuilik is not far away.

Ed Lawson

Ed and Gail... congrats on the rolls... that is awesome!! :-)) You'll have to show them off next time I see you on the water.

Thanks to Cheri and Turner!

The morning session had equal success.

With only 3 students, the instruction was quite intense, and Rhodes, Peter, and I all made great strides.

I cleaned up my layback roll, making it much more "Greenlandic" and less of a Euro-roll-with-funny-paddle, and put together the components of a forward finish roll, which had eluded me last summer.

Rhodes (last name?) from Marblehead, who claimed to have a very spotty roll to begin with, was doing a butterfly roll with a narsaq in his Avocet by the end of the class! Talk about a fast learner!

Like Ed, I would encourage everyone to study with Cheri and Turner if you get the chance. Even if you decide that the traditional Greenland technique stuff isn't for you, your boat handling skills will take a great leap forward.

Rob

Explorer - white (and very wide!)