Stolen Kayak

Bill Gwynn

The fellow that bought my Aquanaut last month is from Montreal, I just got news that it was stolen. You never know where it may show up, so I figured I would post here for him. It is a Valley Aquanaut, standard glass layup, wire skeg, Quill over Quill with Green Trim.

Do you know anything about the circumstances of the theft? From a cartop? A garage? A put-in? Etc. Was it locked down? Etc.

I know that won't help recover the boat, but it might help increase the level of paran... ummm... diligence that we all take regarding our boats.

BTW, that boat has a shortened bulkhead too, right, which should be a dead giveaway. Does it have rails and/or footpegs?

--David.

I don't know the details yet, I recieved the news second hand from Dan Roy. I will find out and post the details.

Yes, It did have a 34" bulkhead, and I belive the new owner put the foot rails and pegs back in.

The kayak was stolen from on top of his car. He stopped at a local lake and walked down to the beach, and when he returned the kayak had been removed from his car top. It was locked with a lasso system as well...

The boat number is DKJAN074-B4-C4, and since there aren't that many aquanauts around it should be easy to spot if it is used...

While I'm at it a couple of other kayaks were stolen up here, two CD Caribous, one red and white (QDC119891001) and one apple green and white (MFPCR238D006)

If anyone spots one of these boats send me a note...

Dan

Once more upon the waters! yet once more!

And the waves bound beneath me as a steed

That knows his rider.

Lord Byron

billy -

if neither you nor the fella you sold it to has the id #, the shop that sold you the boat should be able to run that down from their bill of sale to you or the bill of lading once it came into country...especially if it was custom ordered...that'd be easy to pick off the bill of lading as it'd be specific?

just a thought.

Well, that's a "relief" ;-))) Seriously, it sounds like a professional job -- somebody out looking for kayaks, equipped with wire cutters, an empty truck or cartop carrier and a lot of gall. They probably get $100 per boat or something. Not much you can do about that. At least it likely wasn't "casual" theft.

--David.

News like this makes me wonder if any unattended yak is immune from theft, including when locked with some type of cable system. Mine is 1/4" aircraft cable, "homemade", but have doubts of its value as deterrent to determined thieves. Note to self, for what it's worth-

record serial #, store in kayak documents, and consider inscribing/embedding some other unique marking/identifier.

Gary