Put ins on the Danvers River?

eneumeier

Does anyone know of any good put-ins on the Danvers River? I know there is Pope's Landing, which costs $5 a car (and is it a regular boat ramp with lots of car/trailer traffic).

Any other suggestions for a river in, or very near, Salem?

A friend wants to know.

Liz N.

O'Bear park, across from the Kernwood Country Club, worked fine for a L2 trip Dee lead (except for the slashed tire).

If you can contact Chris Perkins several years ago he showed up at our doorstep on a bike. We (live and Beverly and) were impressed at his endurance as we thought he was living in Waltham. Turns out he and his wife (now son as well - or are there more?) live in Danvers. The point of the story (you knew I'd get around to it sooner or later) is that he was hunting around for put-ins and may have a few secrets.

On Rte 35 there is a put-in into what I believe is the Parker or Ipswich River. Not much formal parking but during the proper months there are usually vehicles there on weekends. Several put-ins on the Parker River in the Ipswich area, one right by Bradley Palmer (not Gwynn) State Park where youths and the odd brave adult are jumping off the bridge. Woo hoo! In this area, be careful you can get theah from heah because some of the area rivers run dry in portions in the summer.

Grab a map. Drive along the roads. Retrace Chris's steps, er, tire tracks.

You could try Salem Willows.

I believe it is call Black Beards Beach.

No cost to park.

Suggest the Chop suey Sandwiches w/ popcorn

& or Icecream before and or after paddling.

If the tide is not to low(watch out for the muck)

you can stop at the park on the way out.

Great paddle. Did it a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday

afternoon.

Walter

Impex Assateague

Emerald Green/White w/ Yellow Stripe

Hey Liz,

As Walter said, the beach at the Willows is free. Just note that it is somewhat rocky at very low tide and bring wheels if you have them since it's a bit of a portage. You can also try Forest River Park in Salem, but you'd have to arrive either before 9 or after 5pm to avoid the non-resident issue and parking fee. The only enforement seems to be a person at the front gate from 9 to 5. The other possiblity is Derby Beach near the Friendship in Salem. No fee, but parking may be an issue and again a bit of a portage, so wheels are a must.

There is a ramp next to a little park near the confluence of the Danvers and Bass rivers looks like a driveway...

On street parking.

You can only drive about halfway down the ramp as it is chained off for some unknown reason.

Still a decent launch though, although at low tide it's a bit mucky..

I think it's called Pleasant View Park.

Pretty sure it's at the end of Porter st.

This is a good launch if you want to paddle the rivers but want to avoid the currents under the Bridge st. bridge.

IMHO the better launch is at the end of Water street.

Also on street parking but you can drive right to waters edge, unload your gear and then go park your car.

It's the only decent all tide year round public launch on salem sound.

Many other launches parking areas fill up with future skin cancer cases in summer..( I shoulda become a dermatoligest.)

Even so, the ramp is sometimes blocked by non boaters just looking at the water They will usually begrudgingly move once you inform them they are actually parked on a boat ramp.. Duh.