Sunday Morning Paddles in 2024

Joseph Berkovitz

This new series of paddles provides a regular weekly opportunity for members to get on the water outside of the workweek. There is no set trip level: all skill levels are welcome. Trips will be tailored each week to the makeup of the group. If desired, opportunities for skills practice will come up naturally without a set curriculum.

All launches are at 8:00 am Sundays from Riverhead Beach in Marblehead (parking is $20). This is a very protected put-in with access to a wide range of paddling options from sheltered to adventurous. Typically we will return around midday. This early launch time avoids both car and boat traffic, minimizes wind conditions, and leaves paddlers free to enjoy the afternoon. 

The idea behind this is similar to the Wednesday Lunch Paddle series, but with a schedule that works for those of us with day jobs. I will probably not be able to organize this every single weekend (and it will conflict with other club events at times) but my intent is to keep it going as regularly as my schedule permits. The location and time have of course been shamelessly selected to make it convenient for me, the organizer ?.

7 minutes ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

This new series of paddles provides a regular weekly opportunity for members to get on the water outside of the workweek. There is no set trip level: all skill levels are welcome. Trips will be tailored each week to the makeup of the group. If desired, opportunities for skills practice will come up naturally without a set curriculum.

All launches are at 8:00 am Sundays from Riverhead Beach in Marblehead (parking is $20). This is a very protected put-in with access to a wide range of paddling options from sheltered to adventurous. Typically we will return around midday. This early launch time avoids both car and boat traffic, minimizes wind conditions, and leaves paddlers free to enjoy the afternoon. 

The idea behind this is similar to the Wednesday Lunch Paddle series, but with a schedule that works for those of us with day jobs. I will probably not be able to organize this every single weekend (and it will conflict with other club events at times) but my intent is to keep it going as regularly as my schedule permits. The location and time have of course been shamelessly selected to make it convenient for me, the organizer ?.

Thanks, Joe! This is going to be very useful to people like me who are not yet retired.

Looking forward to Sunday paddles in 2024!

Thanks everyone who has chimed in with support for this idea.

I should add one brief point to follow up: as with the WLP series, help from other organizers is very welcome. I want the club be able to rely on a weekend saltwater venue where everyone can paddle and learn together throughout the season. The goal is to nurture a strong kayaking community of both longtime and newer members!

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Here's an update on this paddle series, now that my 2024 calendar has solidified:

- I have removed the single repeating event from before, and replaced it with individually scheduled events on the dates that I am available. So if you look now you will see Sunday Morning North Shore Paddles for June 9, 16, 23, 30, July 7, 28, August 18 and 25.

- I'll be posting individually to the Trips forum the Monday before each paddle, at which time I will open up the RSVP list.

- These paddles do not follow the Common Adventure Model. Unless otherwise posted I will be leading or co-leading these trips with an experienced paddler.

- Note to other trip organizers: please don't be concerned about conflicts with this paddle series. Go ahead and organize other things on any given Sunday when there is a Sunday Morning NS Paddle! Choices are good!

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz