New Poll: PFDs...

Now my husband is wondering if I can make due with our exhisting "bulky canoe pfd" or if I need something special to learn rolls with.

I was hoping I could get away with what we have so far to spread out the cost of things a little, but he makes the point that If we're trying to go shopping this weekend so I'm ready for the Karen Knight class, it be good to know if what we have might put me at a learning disadvantage.

I liked the one I've recently seen Kevin B wearing at a pool session, but wouldn't know what to ask or look for...

Thanks Again for all your support!

Heidi

>if I can make due with our

>exhisting "bulky canoe pfd" or if I need something special

>to learn rolls with.

I don't know what constitues a bulky canoe PFD being ignorant about such things. However, it might be wise to keep in mind there are many ways to fill a closet if not a basement with stuff that is seldom if ever used, but which was thought to be great, essential or necessary at the time of purchase. Not to demean the value of good gear, but "success" in your early forays learning various paddling skills is not dependent upon having the "right" gear as a general proposition. And once you have some experience paddling and playing in the boat and paddle, you will be far more able to discern what constitues the "right" boat/paddle/gear for you.

As for learning to roll, the last thing I would concern myself about is the PFD. Speaking as one who has and continues to toil/play toward the goal of having one.

Ed Lawson

Ed's right---I learned to roll years ago in an old fashioned pfd---no difference in that than in my relativly new lotus(I'm equally clumsy in both)----I would suggest however that you borrow a roll friendly kayak, rather than the old town adventure xlt to practice rolls in---but first let me suggest one of the basic beginner classes that npsn offers--I would sign up for basic lessons before I worried about rolling. I'm assuming that you haven't done that yet by the questions youve asked--If you have simply ignore this post. If you can't get to the NPSN sessions, then there are others equally good available, both commerically and non commercially. Have a good time and if you ever get to Maine I hope to see you on the water.

PFD's - should fit and be comfortable in your boat otherwise it will impede your paddling and may even be unsafe. A properly fitted pfd will be snug and not ride up while seated or in the water. Best way to tell is have someone at a shop help you snug it up and then lift up by the shoulder straps. If it rides up when tugged, it doesn't work for you. If you have to have it unreasonably tight to prevent it from moving, that PFD doesn't work for you...

Check out your existing one and see how it feels while paddling - you will know pretty quick. If the torso is too long, it will interfere with your seated position. It may even ride up while seated in the kayak seat rather than a backless canoe seat.

There are tons of pfd's out there. What I look for in a pfd is multiple pockets, short torso, not too bulky up front, ability to mount a hydration pack on back, multiple attachment points for lights and scissors. My PFD is a Kokatat Ms. Fit Tour.

Best option is to try on lots of PFD's from many manufacturers and then try them on in your boat or a boat that has a similar back to yours. What works for you might not be the same style/brand that works for your husband.

Hard to learn to roll with a pfd that doesn't fit well but harder still to paddle with one all day that doesn't fit or chafes.

Suz

If your current PFD doesn't intefere with your ability to rotate, move foward and backwards, and is comfortable. Then you are probably just fine with what you have. If you are looking to upgrade, I recommend the Kokatat MsFit PFD, they seem to be very popular. Whatever you decide, when shopping for a new PFD, take the time to wear it for a while sitting down (preferably in a boat) and make sure it is comfortable, and fits properly. Theres nothing worse than a PDF that floats up around your head when swimming.

Heidi,

I think Suz's advice is right on the money. FYI, my pfd is what is called a Type V or special purpose pfd (it has an integrated tow belt) and probably isn't what you're looking for at the moment. If you're interested in what constitutes the other types, take a look at:

http://www.rendlake.com/pages/safety/lifejackets.htm

Most of us use Type III....

Kevin,

Don't you use the Kokatat Guide PFD? The cut and style of that is the same as the MS Fit Tour with the addition of the integrated tow belt and reinforced shoulders and the subtraction of one pocket. I have this PFD along with the MS Fit Tour.

Suz

Hey Heidi,

Also, don't forgot to protect both your boat and your pfd with 303 (will protect your gear from UV Rays which can damage both) . . . I know they have some at Small Craft . . . this is an important tid-bit that I learned when starting out and will prolong the life of your gear . . .

Thank you guys! Not only am I getting terrific advice, but your posts are very entertaining!

What a great group of people! We are definately planning on heading to NESC craft this weekend, along with North Shore Kayak in Rockport (they carry the afore mentioned NRS wet suit)...maybe we'll bump into some of you...

Thanks again!

Heidi

>Ah, I see your point, which I misinterpreted at first. I

>didn't realize it was that similar to the MsFit since I have

>to admit that I didn't see fit to try that one during my

>search for pfds ;)

Kokatat is kicking themselves for naming it the MsFIT and labelling it with women's sizes on the tags.

Why? The MsFIT has a shorter torso than the OutFIT, so it will fit any shorter guy (or one with a higher seat back in their boat). And most folks will find it more comfortable because, unlike the OutFIT, the chunks of foam in front are split so they mold better to the body.

In short, lots of men would wear it except that it says MsFIT inside. Don't let that be a hindrance to anyone out there. If it fits, take it.

Daniel Smith

Kayak Instructor & Guide

Current Designs Extreme & Kokatat ProFIT Tour PFD

I like my Extrasport Retroglide Saber so much that I took advantage of a recent REI-outlet sale at $80 to get another one...this time in yellow. The lack of upper torso front bulk and super-comfy shoulder straps is unequaled for me.