Coast Guard Birthday Celebration and Fireworks, August 12, 2023

Jim Snyder

Once again the Wood Island Life Saving Station Association is sponsoring a celebration and fireworks to honor the 233rd birthday of the Coast Guard. I wood like to organize a night paddle for fireworks viewing and maybe a pub stop after. Obviously conditions will determine what is possible. I'm considering several possible launch sites but would welcome input. I think the Kittery Town Dock might be best but involves a walk to the school parking. Please post here if you have ideas or interest.

I wonder if we could contact Fort Stark and ask if a volunteer there would open the parking lot for us, perhaps if we paid them or made a contribution? 

@billvossi know you spoke to a volunteer who opens the gates early. Do you know how to get in contact?

Edited by Joyce Carpenter

13 minutes ago, Joyce Carpenter said:

I wonder if we could contact Fort Stark and ask if a volunteer there would open the parking lot for us, perhaps if we paid them or made a contribution? 

@billvossi know you spoke to a volunteer who opens the gates early. Do you know how to get in contact?

Actually @Joyce Carpentermy information source was the state employee working the Fort Stark museum desk the weekend of the NSPN kickoff paddle.  That state employee told me the 10:00 AM official opening time was because the state didn't want to pay someone to open the gate earlier, but that the volunteers had decided they could open the gate at 8:00 AM.  I don't have a contact among the volunteers.

However, https://www.nhstateparks.org/find-parks-trails/fort-stark-state-historic-site the webpage for Fort Stark has a link to the Facebook page for the Fort Stark Brigade and Friends which might be useful.

I asked about getting to use Odiorne late and they wanted me to apply as an "event" with a $100 application fee and $1,000,000 worth of insurance. Fort Stark is a State Park also apparently and would have the same process. I'm starting to think that even with the potential parking issues that the Kittery Town Dock might be the best bet. Then maybe pack a dinner and eat at Fort Foster or someplace before the fireworks. I'm going to check in with the Harbormaster.

Agree that a state park is sounding bad. One other place I’ve launched that would be a possibility is Traip Academy. So long as school is out, there’s plenty of parking just up from the ramp. I wouldn’t use it when motor boats are likely to be launching or landing as the ramp is small and access to it is limited. But it’s easy to use even at low tide and had a clean porta potty with a welcome mat. 
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fU9F7KCb8a9bkxHw5?g_st=ic

Edit: changed link

Edited by Joyce Carpenter

13 hours ago, Joyce Carpenter said:

Agree that a state park is sounding bad. One other place I’ve launched that would be a possibility is Traip Academy. So long as school is out, there’s plenty of parking just up from the ramp. I wouldn’t use it when motor boats are likely to be launching or landing as the ramp is small and access to it is limited. But it’s easy to use even at low tide and had a clean porta potty with a welcome mat. 
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fU9F7KCb8a9bkxHw5?g_st=ic

Edit: changed link

Traip is a good option, but you have to know exactly what the current will be doing at any given hour. The back channel moves very fast and has some "interesting" areas that are not for newer paddlers at night. 

Paul, your familiarity with Traip will be helpful if we go that direction. I think the tides and currents are pretty favorable on this night. At Kittery Point, it's slack at 4pm and 11pm around a 9:19 high. Max flow at 6:24pm  is 1.4kt. I still think Kittery is the better launch point to avoid river paddling as much as possible. 

Paddling out to see these fireworks sounds like such a great time, but, as a morning person, the idea of walking up to get cars AFTER fireworks does not sound so fun. I’m sure Kittery Point is best, and I’ll just have to try to sleep in that morning. THANKS, Jim!

I just spoke with John Brosnihan, Kittery Harbormaster. He of course first cautioned me about the risks inherent in paddling at night in potentially heavy boat traffic. He also reminded me that some kind of "mast light" would be required. We might be able to use some of the non-resident parking there but otherwise would have to park at the school, as I expected. Non-resident launch fee will be $10, $5 for over 65. 

Interesting comment about "mast light" requirement.  I thought the Maine state requirements were the same as the Federal rules in which case no light required for kayak beyond having a light available for use as needed.  That said NH requirement is for 360 white light to be displayed.

Ed Lawson

• 1 month later...

I'm keeping an open mind on this but the current forecast is for long fetch south winds gusting over 20kts. I don't think we'd have sufficient protection even inside Pepperell Cove.