NOAA Custom Chart 2.0 released

mhabich

I asked NOAA about the land contours and got a really prompt response:

Thank you for your feedback on the NOAA Custom Chart web application. 

The NOAA Custom Chart resymbolizes NOAA ENC® data to create paper charts. So, if the data is not on the ENC, the data is not found on the Custom Chart.  The plan is to add back topographic contours and roads during our ENC rescheming effort. However, the process is slow. 

If you zoom into the Trenton, NJ charts, you will see the way topo and roads look on the NOAA Custom Chart (Note: you have to zoom in very close to see them in the web map). 

--
Sincerely,
Christie Ence, Cartographer
Chart Standards Group
Marine Chart Division | NOAA Office of Coast Survey

I asked:  On the generated chart, the low water contour is labeled with many zeros, obscuring detail (see chart below).

---

Thank you for your additional feedback on the NOAA Custom Chart web application.

For some reason, an unfortunate side effect of customizing depth contours was unwanted labels (particularly on the low water line, which is only going to be "0" and does not need a label).  We are working on fixing the issue and plan to release a new symbology update soon.  

However, I've never seen that many labels on any depth contour before.  It makes me wonder what is going on with the underlying data. There is only supposed to be one label per depth contour segment.  Are the low water lines broken up into that many segments?  I'll take a look at the source electronic data and see what is going on.  This was a recently released reschemed area, so I'm surprised the output would look like that.

-
Sincerely,
Christie Ence, Cartographer
Chart Standards Group
Marine Chart Division | NOAA Office of Coast Survey

373221486__ags_CustomChart_17.pdf