Kokatat Drysuit Neck Gasket

Good Afternoon!

I just bought a Kokatat Drysuit - my first drysuit ever (I only had semi-drytops before). The problem is that the neck gasket feels impossibly tight, as if I am being strangled. Any advice on how to safely (without tearing it apart) stretch the gasket so will keep its function, but won't make me feel being slowly suffocated? All suggestions appreciated, especially field-tested ones...:-)

Thanks,

V.

Vlad,

Neck gaskets are designed to be trimmed, if necessary.

But in my opinion, careful stretching is a first step in the decision-making process. 

Importantly, take some days of stretching and testing to get it right.   Don't do it on the eve of a paddle.

Here's my approach:

1.  Apply 303 to the inside and outside of the new gasket.  It slides a bit easier over the skin and over the bleach bottle (see below).

2. Insert a plastic gallon jug carefully from the inside up through the neck, narrowest end first.

3. With the drysuit in a comfortable room temperature environment wait for 48 hours.

4. Try it on and see if there's any improvement.   

5. Leave it on for an hour or so, as the gasket naturally wants to go back to its original size. 

6. If its tolerable/comfortable consider putting the bottle in the neck over night before each paddle.

7. If it's not comfortable there are a variety of instructional videos on trimming the neck gasket.  Here's a reference from the Kokatat site.  I'd also post again here to pick up helpful hints. 

Good luck!

• trimming is not taboo!

The neck gasket on your Kokatat dry suit is designed to be trimmed (Kokatat wrist gaskets are not designed this way). The neck gasket should fit tightly without being too constricting. If stretching the gasket over a form does not increase the comfort, trim the gasket one ring at a time until it is comfortable but does not allow water in when you are swimming (see gasket trimming instructions, trimming instructions start at 2:50). Consult your dealer or Kokatat customer service if you have any questions, and remember, cut once and test before cutting again!

On 1/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, Vladimir Gersht said:

Good Afternoon!

I just bought a Kokatat Drysuit - my first drysuit ever (I only had semi-drytops before). The problem is that the neck gasket feels impossibly tight, as if I am being strangled. Any advice on how to safely (without tearing it apart) stretch the gasket so will keep its function, but won't make me feel being slowly suffocated? All suggestions appreciated, especially field-tested ones...:-)

Thanks,

V.

Trimmed mine after trying to convince myself it was comfortable enough. I applied 303 as directed, wiping off any excess then stretched the neck over a glass bowl inserted from the inside. The gaskets have a series of concentric lines molded into them (at least mine did). staying just above the first line, I cut the gasket with a sharp razor blade. I arranged the work so that I could cut all the way around the neck without lifting the blade. The idea being not to create a nick or new cut line that could be the start of a tear. It took a few minutes to get all set up but it went smoothly. I find that as the gasket warms it loosens slightly so only cut down one ring to start, then give it a try. You can always cut another later. Good luck and relaxed breathing-  Dana

12 hours ago, dsigall said:

Trimmed mine after trying to convince myself it was comfortable enough. I applied 303 as directed, wiping off any excess then stretched the neck over a glass bowl inserted from the inside. The gaskets have a series of concentric lines molded into them (at least mine did). staying just above the first line, I cut the gasket with a sharp razor blade. I arranged the work so that I could cut all the way around the neck without lifting the blade. The idea being not to create a nick or new cut line that could be the start of a tear. It took a few minutes to get all set up but it went smoothly. I find that as the gasket warms it loosens slightly so only cut down one ring to start, then give it a try. You can always cut another later. Good luck and relaxed breathing-  Dana

Dana, how did you “arrange the work” so that you could cut all the way around the neck without lifting the blade?  I've cut - and messed up - gaskets by not doing that step.  A drysuit with container inside the neck for stretching and cutting is pretty unwieldy!  Or, hey, maybe I should just drop my drysuit off at your house since you have it all figured out ?!

Edited by prudenceb

I just replaced my neck gasket with an inexpensive one from Gear Up Guide - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGVDZYB

They come in five different sizes.

The material they use seems to be about twice as thick as the Kokatat gasket that was on my drysuit before. After measuring the stretched-out old gasket, I ended up with an XXL replacement gasket! I'm hoping the combination of a thicker material and minimal stretch to fit around my apparently XXL-sized noggin stalk means this one will last for a while. It's quite comfortable and doesn't crush my neck like the unstretched ones I've had in the past.

2 hours ago, prudenceb said:

Dana, how did you “arrange the work” so that you could cut all the way around the neck without lifting the blade?  I've cut - and messed up - gaskets by not doing that step.  A drysuit with container inside the neck for stretching and cutting is pretty unwieldy!  Or, hey, maybe I should just drop my drysuit off at your house since you have it all figured out ?!

Hi Prudence, I set up at the shop where I work– lots of useful stuff at hand. I used a small wheeled cart, draped the suit over the side and tucked it underneath and out of the way. A few spring clamps kept the arrangement from sliding off the top and I rehearsed a couple of times to be sure I could get all the way around before actually cutting. The wheels turned out not to be helpful and it was a bit of a reach getting around the corners. I think you could use a tall stool: step 1, tape the bowl securely to the seat.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:53 AM, prudenceb said:

Dana, how did you “arrange the work” so that you could cut all the way around the neck without lifting the blade?

How I've done it in the past is to put the suit on the floor, fully stretched out. To make the cut, you'll roll the suit, so once you've determined which way to roll it, roll it a half-turn or so in the opposite direction to "wind it up" a bit before starting to cut. That will make it easier to do a continuous cut.