Paddling Bald Head ME?

Barbara Ryan

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes:

I Met an “older timer” yesterday, after our FANTASTIC paddle, when I was walking the beach at Parker River Wildlife Refuge who said had spent much of his life kayaking all along the north coast.  He shared his secret favorite place in the world to paddle which are the caves beneath the cliffs along the coast south of the Ogunquit lighthouse- Bald Head- beneath The Cliffhouse. He said it is “magical”. The Highest cliffs on the East coast mainland north of Argentina! He was sad that he could never get anyone to go there with him and thought I should get my friends and go there.
So I am wondering if any of you have explored there? 

Yes, the Cliffhouse is a big feature on a  popular (over the years)  paddling trip  from Cape Neddick to Ogunquit and back.  CliffHouse is roughly halfway to Ogunquit from  the launch spot in Cape Neddick Harbor, and right beneath the Cliffhouse is a notch or mini-cove which is a great place to linger and have a play, as waves run into the cove but just dissipate and do not break at the far end where its quite deep , so its  a fairly safe place to venture into, turn around  and come out  again. 
Overall, its a great day trip, with nice rocky shoreline, easy navigation (keep Maine on your left  heading north, keep Maine on  your right coming back ) options to stop for ice cream in Perkins Cove, and surf play at the south end of Ogunquit Beach, which is the turnaround point.   

Edited by PeterB

Hmmmm.  Don't think what the old timer said is true.  Just looked.  Bald Head is under 50 feet.  Otter Cliffs on MDI are over 100.  Ditto cliffs along Bold Coast…

it is a nice area to paddle, but others are more spectacular imho…. We've gone there in the fall a number of times.

Edited by prudenceb