Cowboy reentry?

jason

I am now looking to learn the Cowboy reentry.

With trip leader training I need a paddle float reentry or a Cowboy reentry. I can do the paddle float but after seeing Rick demo a Cowboy reentry I would like to to do one.

I am not seeking to be able to do it gracefully like Rick. I would like to be able to just do it (Hopefully in conditions). I hope the graceful part will happen over the next few years.

I can empty the water out and flip the kayak upright.

This is the point where I just end up feeling liking I am attempting to get onto a spinning log. I just end getting onto my kayak and end up flipping my kayak.

The Atlantickayaktours page has a description of how to do it, but I am having issues getting to the point where I can sit in the kayak. I also have to enter like I have an ocean cockpit as my knees are too long for the keyhole.

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/Ex...-Skills-5.shtml

Any hints on how to learn this would be appreciated.

Thanks -Jason

PS I am still looking for someone to walk me through a back deck roll.

Since we're both vertically blessed you might have the same problems as me with a cowboy reentry.

It's the whole putting my butt in the seat and pulling my legs in part that doesn't work for me because my legs are too long. I use the paddle and scull for support, then I sort of pull the boat back with the paddle while I hop forward into the cockpit. I'll show you on Sunday, it's not pretty but it works and that's what counts.

Hi Jason,

I can show you both next time we're both in a pool.

Bob

...that a cowboy re-entry is much more of a parlor trick than a useful skill. It's more or less impossible on anything other than dead-flat-calm water. While it can be fun to play with, it's not something that you're likely to actually use in a rescue scenario.

I'll agree that the maneuver is not my first choice in "conditions". I've used it when it was easier to extricate the boat from a rocky landing to open water and reenter there. It also can be employed to escape a dumping beach where the seas beyond the break are moderate, though swimming a boat out is not a simple matter. Regardless of its facility, it is a useful exercise to develop and practice.

Another thing to consider is a reenter-and-roll where you enter your cockpit and attach your spray skirt underwater, avoiding the water in the cockpit that makes the maneuver less than perfect. This is not something I have been able to do, even in a pool.

I don't know if the following will help you but I'll mention them for all. I don't enter from the stern, by the time I got to the cockpit this way I've unhooked my whistle and rescue hook, opened my pockets, and often got tangled in rigging or deck fittings. I enter from the side landing astride the back deck directly behind the cockpit. I find that if I thrust with my legs while I push the boat underneath me I can generally end up astride the boat in a single move. From here I hug the boat while rotating to line up with the boat, mostly to stay low but also improving stability and feel for the seas. At this point I believe I have the advantage of being able to sit inside the cockpit and collect my legs. I've seen "graceful Rick" scull while sitting on the boat and arrainging his legs, never needed to do this. Biggest problem is making sure the wiffle ball on the grab loop doesn't end up underneath me.

>

>This is the point where I just end up feeling liking I am

>attempting to get onto a spinning log. I just end getting

>onto my kayak and end up flipping my kayak.

>

Welcome to the club.

I try to keep in mind the following points:

Some of us were not born to be a ballerina.

All boats/paddles make some things difficult for some people so not everyone can readily do all things in their boat.

Its not frustrating to struggle with such stuff, its play to be enjoyed.

Even if you never quite "get it" you will learn a great deal about the boat and yourself.

One variation, I think, of the the classic cowboy is the scramble re-entry described in John Lull's book. He also gives some examples of where it can be useful even though most consider it a flat water technique/trick.

Ed Lawson

Whenever I try cowboy reentries, I make sure to practice my rolls afterwards-----just to boost my sagging ego.

Jason,

In general I've never had a problem with the this rentry; however, when I had my Sirius, it's small (closer to ocean) cockpit presented a bit of a problem. I solved it by doing the normal rentry up to the point where you plant your butt over the cockpit. Since the opening was too small, I started sculling earlier while on the back of the cockpit, during which time I would get one leg completely in along with my butt and then continue sculling until I managed to get the other leg in. The hardest part on the Sirius before this adaption was getting my legs to bend enough after I've already sat in the cockpit. Not as stable as the traditional method but it seems to work.

I do not consider this one, a trick reentry, or two, limited to flat sea conditions. It is a legitimate mode of entry in most sea conditions, with a little practice. For the most part, you would use this type of entry from a ledge launch, where the boat is tossed into the water and you go in after it. I’ve used this many times. If you are to employ any of these types of techniques, then, they must be practiced, not just an intellectual concept. As far as the usefulness of this with small cockpit, I admit it is a little tricky, but as I own a pintail with an ocean cockpit I felt obligated to try. Sitting on the back deck and getting both feet in at the same time is difficult, but I did do it the first time I tried.. I had to pull myself in with one hand and scull for support with the paddle levered on my neck. My point is, that all these somewhat “tricks” have there usefulness at different times. I have heard that the deep scull for support is a parlor trick, but you can use this same skill from an inverted position to rise to the surface within a few strokes. Useful ? Yes. How many ways do you know to turn your boat, or should the Greenlanders stopped at the first successful roll they came up with. The more you can do with the boat and blade, the more you can do with the boat. Practice makes permanent and practice is your ticket anywhere.

Bob as you pointed out you do have the advantage of being able to sit in the boat then put your legs in.

I also agree that I wouldn't use the cowboy if I had a choice. At this point my plan is for the Cowboy and my paddle float to be backups for my reenter and roll.

For TLT I need to demonstrate in Level 4 conditions a reenter and roll along with a Cowboy or a paddle float. The reenter and roll in level 4 shouldn't be an issue. I question getting in my boat using a paddle float outrigger in level 4 conditions.

If I can quote from this page:

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/Ex...-Skills-5.shtml

"The paddle float self-rescue works well in calm to moderate conditions, but it will not work in rough conditions."

and "Cowboy Re-entry

This self-rescue looks like a trick, but it's fast and can be effective even in rough water once you've mastered it. "

I very much like the reenter and roll, is it much easier than filling up the paddle float and attempting to climb back into the boat. If it wasn't for being wet and the water in the boat it might be easier way of getting in the boat from on shore. I haven't attempt to put my spray skirt on when under the boat but it's a thought for the future.

Thanks -Jason

I agree with Rick on the usefulness of this reentry. I personally am not very good at it and prefer a re-enter and roll. I saw Jeff Allen do this in 4' seas in a race so know it is useful as a mode of re-entry if you are good at it.

I think it is a balance thing - some people are able to stand up in their boat and sit back down like Nigel Foster. All party tricks and fun things to do but the value comes in the balance practice. More you can do "playing", the more you can do for real.

Almost time to start getting wet again and doing all these fun things! 70 degrees today!!!! WHOOOO HOOOO!!!

Suz

Jason,

I practiced to where I could consistently do a cowboy reentry in an ocean cockpit (in pool sessions) , so my experience might be helpful to you.

If you have trouble initially mounting your boat, you can mount from the very stern of your boat, its just a longer way to scramble and slither to get to entry position.

Once you have gotten on the back deck, just hoist yourself along, staying as low as possible, paddle in both hands in front, ready to scull or brace on either side. Or you can favor one side all along, with your paddle in something of a scull or brace position on that side. Through practise you’ll find the best spot to position your butt so your legs will reenter, and raise your torso into a sitting/riding position If you scull and get your legs in, reach forward & grab the front coaming and pull on the trousers.(it's during thois phase that you'll bemost likely to fail) I found that the key was a quick and decisive pull on the coaming was the best, get it over with, slam into the cockpit , so you’re ready to brace, scull, recover etc.

A backband (especially a high and taut one) is an enemy of this kind of reentry.

Ideally, with practise one can mount the boat right in the position ,or close to, where one wants to sit astride the boat and reenter , and avoid that hoisting and slithering.

Some boats are easier than others . The Explorer, e.g, has a nice long keyhole cockpit, so one can drop ones butt and scissor the legs in, I imagine this was one of the things in mind when that cockpit was designed. A cowboy rentry in a short ,or ocean cockpit, or with long legs, in conditions, might well be a party trick for us mortals , but, as I’m told that the paddle float self rescue is not viable in 2-3 ft+ seas, the CR and the RE&R might be the only solo options.

If you’d like to practise on Sunday, Jason, I’m game. Peter

>...that a cowboy re-entry is much more of a parlor trick

>than a useful skill. It's more or less impossible on

>anything other than dead-flat-calm water. While it can be

>fun to play with, it's not something that you're likely to

>actually use in a rescue scenario.

While practicing for trip leader training this year, Rick, Alex, and I found a nasty place behind a large boomer to practice self rescues. When Rick pulled off his first cowboy without a hitch. I tried mine. No problem. I don't think of this as a parlor trick. Preceded by a pump-and-dump it's a very fast self rescue that results in a dry boat.

-Dee

Bob:

The reattachment of the spray skirt while underwater is something I'd consider an advanced version of the re-enter and roll. The technique I've practiced is to put the boat on edge and half fill the cockpit. Get legs in the boat while laying more or less on your back along side the boat with your head above water. Then duck briefly underwater, pull your butt into the seat using your underwater hand. Then roll (with or without a paddle float attached to the paddle). It's very quick (10-15 seconds) to get back upright. That's why it can work in very rough seas. No need for extended fiddling while under water.

The obvious disadvantage is a flooded cockpit: you have to paddle out of trouble (race or surf zone) or hook up with another paddler before pumping out. This is one reason why paddlers in some parts of the world (Australia for one) consider a foot pump a necessity for ocean paddling.

The technique of putting the spray skirt on underwater is a challenge (many have a problem doing this upright on land). It requires a full inversion unlike the variation above and it can be difficult to get the spray skirt attached before running out of air.

Scott

I also agree it's not a parlor trick. I've been told this a number of times by a number of people and after practicing it a several times in different conditions, it can be very effective. Like Suz, I think I prefer the reentry and roll, but this self rescue technique definately works well.

Yesterday, during a short post -TLT conversation on this cowboy reentry , someone raised an issue that I hadn’t thought of. The cowboy renentry becomes the preferred (perhaps only) self -rescue option, (preferable to the RE & R), if one wants or needs to avoid immersing ones head in water. (very cold water, lack of head protection, already hypothermic , prone to headaches, gasping vertigo etc)

In this event , it would seem that a paddle float assisted cowboy reentry would be a viable option, but while I’m familiar with the paddle float RE & roll, I’ve never heard of a paddle float cowboy rescue or seen it taught, practiced. Is there some problem with it that I’m missing?

In my mind, it boils down to do what works; however, one of the reasons I've always liked the cowboy reentry is that you don't need to take time to attach the float to the paddle and inflate it. Although it would give you added stability when attempting to reenter the cockpit, I would think it would just be easier to do a standard paddle float rentry (if you're worried about immersion).

I have struggled with the cowboy re-entry,but found a technique that helps.I have gone up over the rear deck from the side,but first reach across and place the paddle in the water in an extended position.While holding the paddle shaft,hook your fingers thru the lifeline,and grab the far side coaming with the other hand. When you launch yourself onto the deck,the paddle acts like a lever to stabilize you,hopefully long enough to "drop the monkey in the bucket". Still working on making this look like I know what the heck I'm doing.

With re-enter and roll and putting on the sprayskirt-where's your paddle while this is happening? Since I'm wearing contacts,I have a bit of a disadvantage(no visuals)and running the blade into the forward deck lines by feel would be a bit much,and still have time for the sprayskirt. Hey..I'm no David Blane!

>With re-enter and roll and putting on the sprayskirt-where's

>your paddle while this is happening? Since I'm wearing

>contacts,I have a bit of a disadvantage(no visuals)and

>running the blade into the forward deck lines by feel would

>be a bit much,and still have time for the sprayskirt.

>Hey..I'm no David Blane!

Park the paddle before you reenter the boat. Another method would be to trap the paddle between you and boat, i.e. tuck it under you arm when you grasp the combing to pull yourself in. This latter method is subject to movement of the paddle, works fine in a pool, but I think parking the paddle before reentering is best.

P.S. - Mr. Blaine wimped out after holding his breath for only seven minutes.

>With re-enter and roll and putting on the sprayskirt-where's

>your paddle while this is happening? Since I'm wearing

>contacts,I have a bit of a disadvantage(no visuals)and

>running the blade into the forward deck lines by feel would

>be a bit much,and still have time for the sprayskirt.

>Hey..I'm no David Blane!

I also wear contacts and do everything underwater with my

eyes closed. Tuck the paddle under your arm. There's

another important part.

The first time I tried the re-enter and roll putting the

sprayskirt on, I had the paddle backwards. As I turned the

paddle around underwater, I thought, "Note to self: make

sure paddle in right direction." (No, I don't use

particularly good grammar when talking to myself while

underwater.)

-Dee

Another method for holding the paddle is to tuck the middle of the shaft under the bottom edge of the front of your PFD. It stays put while fiddling with skirts or pumps, yet is instantly available and in position for a brace if needed.

I'd think that any of these methods (Reentry and Roll or Cowboy) would do better if the paddle is always in position for a brace throughout the process.

Scott