Looking for Epoxy advice.

jason

I have removed the clip from my Icom HM-125 speaker/Mic. As the current clip wasn't effective.

I have a MB-88 swivel clip that I am going to remove the ears then epoxy it to the back of the MH-125.

Now that I have the parts, the old clip has been removed. I need to know what epoxy to use to put it together.

Thanks -Jason

If the parts are a close fit to each other, epoxy should work. If there are significant gaps to be filled between the parts, regular epoxies will tend to run out of the gaps, so you'd probably be better off using something like GOOP or Lexel. Another option would be to use epoxy putty, which you should be able to find at a hardware store. For the best bond, clean the parts well and sand the mating surfaces lightly.

Even if the parts fit well, it might not work. These plastics are difficult to glue. There are now some high tech adhesives for gluing these slippery plastics. One of them is Devcon's Plastic Welder II. You need a special applicator gun for it, which I have. A tube of it goes for $11.68 from McMasterCarr. In fact, I am going to be ordering from McMasterCarr in the next couple of days and would be happy to add this to the order. Send me an e-mail.

-Dee

There are few problems in life which can't be solved by McMaster-Carr. Dee, did you raise a few eyebrows at your wedding ("She's not like the other girls" ...) when you ask to be registered at McMaster Carr?

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that my Icom HM-125 speaker/Mic modification didn't work 100%.

After the 1st and only trip it leaked a little (salt water). I found out that it leaked as the transmit is now stuck on.

I removed the water that I could then I have left it open to air dry.

Should I wash it with distilled water or will that make things worse?

Thanks -Jason

>After the 1st and only trip it leaked a little (salt water).

> I found out that it leaked as the transmit is now stuck on.

>

If the transmit is stuck on after it has dried, then you have a problem and rinsing it may, but likely will not correct it. It may still be repairable if the problem is in a switch, but working on the electronics is no simple task beyond replacement of discreet modules. Having a radio on when it is inflitrated with water also tends to do bad things beyond those caused by corrosion. Once a radio gets wet with seawater and dries, lots of bad things happen fast. They often get flakey thereafter which is not a good trait in a marine radio carried for safety reasons. The suggested response is often to keep the radio wet, as in just keep it immersed, until it can be soaked in distilled water and then carefully dried in an effort to prevent component damage.

Ed Lawson