Instruction Videos?

Hi all, I've been away from NSPN and real sea kayaking for some time (flat water). I'm looking for some good instructional videos to help me brush up and improve my skill set.

Are there any recommended kayak skill online instruction videos? I found this site which seems very good but a bit expensive:

https://www.onlineseakayaking.com/

There's a lot of bits of stuff on Youtube but it seems very piecemeal and mixed quality.

Thanks-

Tim

There is a lot on You tube that I glean from for kayaking and other disciplines. I was a  bit wary of the link but when I saw Simon Osborne is a part of it I was pleased. He is one of the best with a skill set that is at the top of the game. Helping him in a Surf and Rocks course off of the Narrows in RI I saw him standing in the seat of his Explorer (yes, like a surfboard) and surfing between rocks on a rough day. Didn't see the cost but if you can adapt to this learning style you would learn a lot--fast.

I second josko’s recommendation - Ivan Lawler’s videos have helped me improve my paddling a whole lot. He really does a great job of deconstructing every component of power transfer from paddle to boat. And this material is free.

He has a 6-part series that he recorded at the beginning of the pandemic that contains many gems:

https://youtube.com/channel/UC8KuVUSSDZraBFmTwkIyOKA

Agreed the Ivan Lawler videos are excellent — I rewatch the full master class video at least once a season.  There is also great Australian podcast Paddle2Fitness which covers a lot of technical aspects of paddling — short focused episodes are released fairly regularly. 

As far as paid online courses go, the OSK course appears to be expensive but at $119 for the annual subscription and ~20 hours of video content that’s only $6/hour plus it looks like there’s more included.  Not sure how “good” the videos are, or how vibrant their online community is but it’s always YMMV with these things..

Mocke Paddling offers a bundle of courses as well for $20 per — I think they contain approximately three hours of content each which is ~$6/content-hour as well — seems to be the going rate for paid content.  Their online courses are geared toward surfskis but there are lots of crossover concepts.

If you are looking for a more interactive experience there are also many sport-specific coaches now who will work with you virtually in pursuit if almost any type of goal, however the cost is obviously higher than static video-based courses.

Matt

Thanks for the feedback, I think I will try https://www.onlineseakayaking.com/ for $12/month, the production values of their samples is quite good. I have a good paddle stroke, used to do 25mi flatwater paddles before kid, it's more the surf, rough seas, moving water techniques and rough water rescues I need to work on, which seems to be the forte of those videos. I just upgraded my old Dagger Magellan to an Eddyline Fathom, looking forward to getting back into it.

Are there ever pond sessions nearer the Chelmsford area?

Thanks!

Tim

If you want to brush up on your surf, rough seas skills, etc., then do see that I have posted a British book (Pesda Press -- associated with BCU, I think), "Rough Water Handling" by Doug Cooper, for sale in the classifieds section...new book, but an accidental duplicate...and it is a <good> book.

• 6 months later...

To follow up, I've been watching the videos by Simon Osborne and company on https://www.onlineseakayaking.com/ and they are excellent. The production quality is fantastic with clear, sharp almost cinematic appearance. They use multiple cameras including underwater and drones to capture the best angle. The audio is flawless and the instruction clear.

More importantly the content is great and covers every topic I think one would need for sea kayaking. They recently added the rolling course which I thought was the only missing piece. They are also responsive on the comments section, as well as on a Facebook group.

I wonder if they would offer any club discounts?

Tim

Edited by Timothy Tait