Icom M88 on ham Bands?

EEL

I just noticed tht the M88 can be programmed for additional channels between 146 and 174 MHz. Does anyone know about/have experience with programming the radio for ham radio use on 2M? Can you program it using built in menus or does it require a separate device via a cable similar to commerical radios?

TIA

Ed Lawson

>And do you need an FCC license for those bands?

Yes. Well, there are some exceptions, but they only apply in specific, limited circumstances.

Anyway, I have the license and was hoping someone in the club has an M88 , is a licensed ham, and had explored the those features of the radio.

Ed Lawson

Speaking as both a ham and an EE, it's not

worth hacking the firmware and probably breaking

the radio in the process. I've left my M88 alone.

Realistically, there are no normal circumstances where unlicensed

operation is allowed. Don't even think of it!

>Speaking as both a ham and an EE, it's not

>worth hacking the firmware and probably breaking

>the radio in the process. I've left my M88 alone.

Whoa! Please read my original post. Icom says it can be programmed for additional channels in the 146-174MHZ range which includes a portion of the 2M ham band. I was asking if anyone knew how and if it could be programmed to operate on the ham bands. If it is not type approved OK. If it cannot be easily programmed as most ham HTs can be OK. I am talking about the programming functions availalbe in the radio normally, not mods such as the MARS mods that can be done to most HTs. Nobody is talking about hacking the software/firmware let alone operating without a license.

After searching around on the web it appears the M88 can only be programmed for up to 22 additional channels of commercial Land Mobile use so the point is moot anyway as the typical end user could not program it and not for ham use in any event.

>

>Realistically, there are no normal circumstances where

>unlicensed

>operation is allowed. Don't even think of it!

True, but you and I both know there are limited circumstances where it is allowed. That is all I said. I did not infer it was allowed under normal circumstances.

Ed Lawson

For those who might be surprised by Bob's response:

Although there are a few exceptions, broadcasting without a license is seriously illegal. Not long ago, a license was required for VHF marine radios, but the USCG wanted to encourage all mariners to use them, so the requirement was eliminated.

-Dee

>Although there are a few exceptions, broadcasting without a

>license is seriously illegal.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the following quote from a 2003 FCC enforcement letter to a person in California following an investigation of false distress calls on Marine channels 16 and 22A (known as 22 in US) shows just how serious unlicensed operation can be in terms of penalties. People are prosecuted for these violations and operation of any radio, especially those on safety and marine frequencies, should not be equated with FRS or other casual use.

"You are hereby notified that any operation of radio transmitting equipment without a valid FCC authorization or license, and the transmission of false distress signals constitute violations of the Federal laws cited above and could subject you as the operator of this illegal radio station to the severe penalties provided, including, but not limited to, a maximum civil fine of $18,000 and/or one year imprisonment, or arrest of the equipment for the first offense (see 47 U.S.C. §§ 501 and 503).

Further, you are hereby advised that willfully communicating a false distress message to the United States Coast Guard is a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 88©. This is a felony with a penalty of 6 years imprisonment, $250,000 fine, 3 years supervised release, and $100 special assessment fee. Other penalties such as restitution for U. S. Coast Guard costs may be ordered by the Court."

Ed Lawson