Beginner kayak recommendation

dsigall

My new neighbors who have seen my kayak come & go and noticed gear drying on the line have asked for a starter boat recommendation. I couldn't name a particular kayak off the top of my head but I offered to look into it. From our conversation I know they've looked at some rec kayaks but I would hope to steer them past a bath tub boat and into something they could learn and grow into and enjoy some great paddling opportunities here on the north shore. Any thoughts on a starter boat? Bulkheads of course. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dana

It really does depend on what their ambitions and goals are (even if short term).  Recreational kayaks are attractive because they are easy, and if the goal is to occasionally spend an hour or so messing about a local pond or stream, then that's fine   The more you venture towards a longer/narrower boat, the greater the learning curve.  Nothing wrong with that either, just don't want to steer someone into a boat that will frustrate them enough to not want to kayak again.

I am sure there will be a flood of opinions on what models make "good starter boats".  What might be a good starter boat (or second boat, or advanced boat) for one person, might not be that good for another, so instead of naming boats, I prefer concepts.  Wider is easier to get in and out, but slower to paddle.  Shorter is easier to turn, but harder to go straight.  More rocker makes a longer boat seem shorter, so see last comment.  Rudders may seem to make boats easier to steer, and actually do, but sacrifice true maneuverability as well as some ergonomics (depending on the control mechanism).  Skegs are not as effective as rudders, as well as not intuitive, but less prone to mechanical failure, and allow for more solid foot placement.

We hope to have the New To Sea Kayak Workshop announced soon, at which we will go over different boat types and styles, among other things.  It is a really good opportunity for those looking to get started in kayaking, or for transitioning into sea kayaking.

In addition to what others have said, encouraging them to take some basic lessons (from an outfitter that includes providing a boat) can be helpful and then either renting boats in a protected area or in a similar area with an outfitter that allows demos.