How Much Water?

EEL

I assume it depends upon many factors including what is needed for cooking, but how much water per day do you normally allot when on camping trips along the coast of Maine during the summer months? I have read a gallon a day per person is a decent starting point. TIA

Ed Lawson

I have carried 1 gallon per day on all my trips. I carry an extra 2 to 3 quarts as back up. only once have I used it. most trips I return with my backup plus 1 quart. If the weather is unusually warm I use more water and it is good insurance to have the little extra.

I found that the 1 liter soft bottles work best, it is real easy pack into those small spaces to maintain the boat trim.

Jonathan

How much water is similar to backpacking, etc. for minimum provisioning taking into account its easier to carry water in a kayak than on your back. "Water bags" are definitely the way to go if you haven't happened upon them yet. They fit most anywhere and roll/fold up when empty. Small bags definitely fit in smaller places while large bags reduce the number of vessels you buy/carry. Places like REI sell carriers for the bags that also have provisions for hanging, etc. to simplify dispensing of the water. You can also use the sea water to rinse/wash your dishes remembering not to pour it out on the island, the thin soil is unable to deal with such "traces" of human visitation.

Have you looked into MITA; small fee, good cause, great guide (eventually).

>

>Have you looked into MITA;

Yes. BTW for this year the trail goes as far south as Cape Porpoise with at least one camping island in that area.

During ths cool spell my kayaking consists of planning trips involving a mix and match of camping and B&Bs.

Ed Lawson

>How much water is similar to backpacking, etc. for minimum

>provisioning taking into account its easier to carry water

>in a kayak than on your back. "Water bags" are definitely

>the way to go if you haven't happened upon them yet. They

>fit most anywhere and roll/fold up when empty. Small bags

>definitely fit in smaller places while large bags reduce the

>number of vessels you buy/carry. Places like REI sell

>carriers for the bags that also have provisions for hanging,

>etc. to simplify dispensing of the water. You can also use

>the sea water to rinse/wash your dishes remembering not to

>pour it out on the island, the thin soil is unable to deal

>with such "traces" of human visitation.

>

>Have you looked into MITA; small fee, good cause, great

>guide (eventually).

Does REI sell the bags?--What about LL Beans---for the past 5 years I've used gallon jugs which have a flat shape---would like to get more water jugs into my boat.

Yes REI does sell the water bags ("Water Sack") in the form of bladders and holders, i.e. separately or perhaps together. If you are careful you will likely find that you need only one holder at the campsite and that the bladders will survive careful handling in the hatches.

>Does REI sell the bags?--What about LL Beans---for the past

>5 years I've used gallon jugs which have a flat

>shape---would like to get more water jugs into my boat.

http://www.rei.com/product/489.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

These are actually a rebranded Stearns product that can also be found elsewhere. REI now sells these through online and catalog only.

Best way to carry water is the MSR 10 liter water bag. I usually fill mine and like magic it will slide into the day hatch and lay flat on the bottom. You can supplement them with the 2 liter bags also. The bags are nearly indestructable,and you can hang them from a branch. There's also an optional "faucet" lid for them.

[http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47995896&parent_category_rn=5760741&vcat=REI_SEARCH]