Kokatat Tributary System

I use the above item and it seems it is now time to clean it. Unfortunately, I can't find the instructions that came with it nor can I find info on the website. For those who also use it, any idea how one can clear out the residue build-up in the clear hose?

I had a kit for Camelback that includes a brush for the hose, but I can't find it at the moment. I got it online, but I forget where. Googling...

hydration brush

finds a number of them. Looks like REI carries them -- use the same search at REI.com -- and so they might be in one of their stores.

This might work with Kokotat -- depends on the tube size, I imagine.

--David

If it is that bad you should replace the tube.

They can be purchased at REI and Dicks I believe has replacements.

The insructions for cleaning my unit was to use 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda with 1/2 of unit filled with warm water. Shake'n not stirred.

Flush.

Then 1/2 teaspoon of Lime Juice to 1/2 of unit of water. Skake again. Flush.

Store in refrigerator until needed.

When needed fill with H2O and walla you all set to go.

Hi Kevin,

Home Depot carries clear flexible tubing in assorted sizes.

It may be cheaper to buy a replacement piece and sterilize it with bleach.

I've used the sterilization kit for my Camelback, but it was a bit pricy. It does have a plastic frame that inserts in the Camelback to make cleaning easier, comes with a long narrow brush and a couple of cleaning pills.

Another possibility is Beer and Wine Hobby on New Boston Street in Woburn. They carry food-grade tubing, which is used in bottling homebrew and I know they carry the cleaning solution. They also have a nice selection of homebrewing supplies, but that's another hobby!

Regards,

Bob

I unbend a wire clothes hanger,put a bit of tissue paper on the end and push it through the hose, done... clean enough...

If you could see the inside of your pipes at home you would NEVER drink from them again.. of course many people don't anyway, but i'm not one of them.

After a few months of use, ours get pretty moldy and yuchy to look at, so we clean them frequently. It's really very simple.

Fill the pouch and hose with water plus 1/4 cup of bleach. (Use gloves and eye protection when pouring the bleach.) Let sit for 20 minutes or so. Rinse well. Then mix up a solution of 1 cup of water plus 1/4 cup of vinegar or a tablespoon of lemon juice. Swish this around inside the pouch and through the hose to neutralize the bleach.

We've been using this for years with our hydrators which are the same components. It works great.

-Dee

Kevin,

If you are using the Kokatat system, you will find that due to the turn in the hose connection you are unable to use the Camelback "pipe cleaner" as it can't make the turn from that end and can only go down part way on the other end.

I am a bit particular as I usually use gatorade in my water bag. Here is how I keep mine clean:

Wash with dish soap regularly and rinse with water - this is both for the hose and the bag. To clean the hose, after washing the bag out, I flush the hose with the soapy water. Run through with fresh water.

When finished, take the hose off the bag and spin the hose out from both ends. Just hold and swing in a full circle. This will remove most of the water. Hang straight to dry from the end with the attachment point.

I find that if you allow the hose to dry out, things don't grow in it.

If you start to see black pin dots in the hose, this is the time to bleach it. I just use about 1/4 cup bleach to a wash basin of hot water and soak the bag and the hose in it. Run a bag of bleach water through the hose and dry as above.

The bleach pretty much evaporates but if you want to rinse through with water you can. No need to "neutralize" the bleach.

Suz

While I'm not much better at chemistry than physics bleach is a solution such that when the water evaporates the chemical that made it bleach remains. Kind of like salt left on your windshield. Thorough rinsing will remove most of the bleach, in an exponential fashion of some sort. Its up to the user how much "trace chemical" you want to leave in your hydrator, but you may have whiter teeth and healthier gums.