Rock Gardening near Boston

John Hirsch

Drive all the way out to Windmill Point in Hull and then paddle out to the Brewster Islands.  Check the tides and current before you go.

Darn, I am away this weekend.  I'm just getting into level 3 stuff and did kings beach  several weeks ago and it was perfect.  Some really fun rocks along that route.  I'd love to do it again.

Windmill Point has plenty of parking on weekends but there are restrictions on weekdays.

There is an alternate launch just inside the point, James Ave, which is free and has always had plenty of parking when I've been there. Advantage is that you can warm up on easy water on the way to Hull Gut.  I like this better than launching directly from the point. If you are free during the week, so much the better, I'd join you. Cohasset area on south shore also has lots of rocks to poke around, plus the Little Harbor tide race. I'm no rock hound but I'd welcome company in these places that are my usual haunts. Shoot me a pm if you want to put something together.

Kate

On 9/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, kate said:

... Cohasset area on south shore also has lots of rocks to poke around, plus the Little Harbor tide race. I'm no rock hound but I'd welcome company in these places that are my usual haunts. Shoot me a pm if you want to put something together.

Kate

I'd love to learn about some of these places as i'm new and still learning all the spots that are available in the area.  Since I'm not retired, I'm mostly a weekend warrior but may take some weekdays off next summer if I have some extra vaca time.  Not sure if this season is over yet.  I guess it depends on the weather and if anyone is up for some drysuits days.

-Ken

17 hours ago, Ken said:

I'd love to learn about some of these places as i'm new and still learning all the spots that are available in the area.  Since I'm not retired, I'm mostly a weekend warrior but may take some weekdays off next summer if I have some extra vaca time.  Not sure if this season is over yet.  I guess it depends on the weather and if anyone is up for some drysuits days.

-Ken

Season is not over (I was out yesterday in the Outer Harbor, it was quite "spicy" and fun) and I can do weekends too, although this weekend may be the last one that is currently unscheduled, for awhile. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed there aren't a lot of NSPN day trips, mostly weekend getaways (which are totally fun; I really enjoyed Stonington, ME this summer) and evening practice (nice paddling Walden on my way home from work) but some more local level 3 trips on the weekend around Boston and the Northshore would be great.  

-Ken

Again, folks wanting to learn rock-hopping would do well to paddle with RICKA. There's a good deal to this skill, and they are very knowledgeable, skilled, supportive and helpful.  Rhode Island offers some of the best rock-hopping in the Northeast. 

• 3 weeks later...

The granite Northeast MA coast all the way from Nahant to Rockport offers superb rock gardening. You can get virtually unlimited amounts of rock-knowledge paddling the neighborhood coastline with other NSPN members. RI is fine indeed, but no need to go that far unless you want to check it out.

Looking for a club trip near Boston with rocks?  Look no further than this recently posted trip:

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz