Temporary Rack Movement to Different Car

alcoons

Taking my kayak car (2015 Subaru Legacy) to the shop for three weeks on Monday. Will get a rental car so need to use my wife's 2016 Subaru Forester to transport my kayak. It came with slide rails on the roof, but nothing else. So I need to move my Thule Rack (old Aero Cross bars, etc) to the Forester. Rack Attack can sell me four foot packs to do the job but about $240 with tax.  

Other solutions (set up a GoFundMe site, duct taping the aero bars to the side rails,...?).

Thanks,

Al

Thanks Jonathan.

My experience with c-clamps is that easily can be dislodged with impact (such as the normal bouncing of a car over road irregularities). Am I wrong?

Not sure what the "nylon nuts" are for?  I assume you are suggesting clamping my existing bars with a steel bar on top and another one below the side rails?

Sorry,

Al

Thanks Marshall.  

Found I can get two Yitamotor cross bars designed for the Forester for $64 used and $90 new. They handle 150 lbs each and have very good amazon ratings. Think I will go with them assuming my Thule boat cradles fit.

Al

A couple of folks I know swear by inflatable kayak roof racks for exactly this situation. There are a few of them on the market. Apparently they are reallly quite robust!  I’m having a look at one tomorrow since I’m out here in the Bay Area with a rental car and need to borrow boats...

,To hijack....As a Subi owner I am more interested in why a 2015 is going away for three weeks and what happened? We own our second one, a 2015  (burned on the first)and trying to decide if I should dump it. Seeking local knowledge..thxs  

Edited by Paul Sylvester

Paul: The short of it is a local trash pick-up pickup truck stopped in front of my driveway. I stopped behind him. He then put the truck into reverse and tried to back into my neighbor's driveway, crushing part of my front end. Luckily his insurance covers all including my deductible.  You don't say what model your's is. My is a Legacy. 2015 was the first year of the new model designed to compete with the Accord and Camry which it does very well even though it retains much of the Subaru feel and has 4 wheel drive.  

Paul, email me privately if you want more information on a 2015 Legacy.

Al

PS. All members of my family (Boston & Denver) drive Subarus.

Update on the Yitamotor cross bars for my wife's 2016 Forester. All is good!

- Arrived quickly, nicely packaged.

- Instructions looked good until you tried to follow them (like not really mentioning that you had to tighten the 4 bolts under each crossbar after adjusting the length to our particular car). Cannot find a complete video, but that should not stop anyone. They are easy enough to put on.

-  Was worried that it would be hard to put my boat on top of 2016 Forester. That year is pretty high. The Seattle Sports Sherpak Boat Roller again work as advertised  even on the vertical back window.

-  Was also worried my Thule cradels would not fit on the cross bars (they are much thinner) but they (just) fit.

So unless I loose my boat on 128 headed for Lane's on Wednesday, this worked out well enough for the price.

Hi Prudence,

Well it does take "some" strength and care but it works for me. Not perfect. A bit harder on the Forester (SUV) than my Legacy (average sedan) but to my surprise it worked. Hope to see you Wednesday.

Al

PS. I better publish my route to Lane's Cove so others can avoid it.