Nantasket Beach?

SeaKayakNE

Both Mark and I have done so. AFAIK, during off-season it's fine. Good luck with the mega-surf! Nahant has a nice gentle slope into the beach which makes for long rollers, vs Nantasket's steeper shoreline which tends toward dumping surf. But who knows how it's shaped now? Go try it out....

Here's an image of Mark headed out on a beater day. Note the location of the photographer (me) after one too many dumping waves.

marknantasket3s.jpg

From the State Website information about the beach:

Restrictions

• No dogs allowed from April to mid-September

More info

• Lifeguards on duty from late June to early September.

I have found no other information limiting usage, and based on weather, I would think it would be fine.  If you want to be super-sure, you might try calling the Department of Conservation and Recreation at (617) 626-1250.  Normally I would include calling Hull Police, but doubt they would welcome such a call during storm operations.  There are a couple of webcams along the beach and the surf looks ugly.

So let's get the important stuff out of the way. Best place for a post paddle taco and beer. https://m.facebook.com/californiaundergroundatnantasketbeach/

Now the other stuff. 

As others have said, you can park and launch anywhere this time of year.

In the warmer months, when and where lifeguards are on the beach, you're not allowed to launch a kayak from the public beach. You have to go north past the lifeguard stations to launch, but again that's only during the summer. 

For the long boats, I think the best spot would be across from the Dunkin Donuts, closer to the large white bath house and carousel. You could play right out front of that spot, and also transition a little further south towards the rocks, where you might find more deep water rides. Afterwards you could just walk across the street for tacos without having to shuffle cars.

I'd avoid paddling where the surfers mainly congregate, which is a little further north where the concrete seawall ends, and it transitions to large boulders. There's a pretty good break right there, surfers usually grab the parking spaces right next to the water, and most of them won't travel any further than there. If you're surfing a dedicated surf boat, and have the skills, you could jump in that lineup. For the long boats, surfers don't really want you anywhere near them. I can't really blame them as they're pretty vulnerable, especially when there's a 16 foot object traveling sideways through the soup zone. So I'd give the boardies some distance if you encounter them in larger groups. 

Might not matter so much with the 6pm high tide Saturday, but might come into play for future visits. At high tide the water will come up against the seawall, from the south side near the abandoned restaurant, all the way north to where the seawall ends. So it can be more challenging to launch or land from those spots, and you'll get a lot of waves bouncing off the seawall. 

Edited by John Martinsen

4 hours ago, Pintail said:

I think the more relevant question might be: is there any beach <left> after these two storms?  

I noticed that although Salisbury-to-Hampton area are eroded about 6 feet, the beach that is left is much flatter than previous!! The surfing landscapes are changing... 

• 4 years later...
On 3/8/2018 at 2:55 PM, John Martinsen said:

So let's get the important stuff out of the way. Best place for a post paddle taco and beer. https://m.facebook.com/californiaundergroundatnantasketbeach/

Now the other stuff. 

As others have said, you can park and launch anywhere this time of year.

In the warmer months, when and where lifeguards are on the beach, you're not allowed to launch a kayak from the public beach. You have to go north past the lifeguard stations to launch, but again that's only during the summer. 

For the long boats, I think the best spot would be across from the Dunkin Donuts, closer to the large white bath house and carousel. You could play right out front of that spot, and also transition a little further south towards the rocks, where you might find more deep water rides. Afterwards you could just walk across the street for tacos without having to shuffle cars.

Interesting.  FYI.  I regularly surf out of Nantasket (it's closer to me than Nahant), mostly with a waveski but also occaisonally with a long boat.  Never had a problem until yesterday.   As I got ready to launch from the parking area, next to the bath house, a DCR ranger came along and shooed me away, saying that kayak launching from the public beach is prohibited.  Not another another surfer or boater out there.   Several pedestrians, mostly locals, came up and said, "What!?"   Anyway, I headed north, just past the public beach area and launched.

I googled DCR regulations and saw nothing(except this thread) regarding prohibited kayak launching from Nantasket.  You would think if Nantasket is prohibited, so would Nahant which many of us have a launched from for years and years.

Could be my (bad) luck to run into an overzealous DCR ranger.

sing

32 minutes ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

It’s happened at Nahant too, but only a few times. Depends on the ranger…

Well...  That would certainly ruin a planned surf session.   Many a good NSPN surf sessions right by the Tides Restaurant.  Nothing like the leisurely surf sessions there.. usually completed with a good debriefing (and good nature) ribbing over food and liquid refreshments.

Guess the alternative would be to head towards the King Beach area (and deal with the red algae).

sing