Seaworthy Craft

leong

"A well-designed sea kayak paddled by a competent, prudent individual may be the most seaworthy craft afloat."

-Yachting Magazine, April 2001

A surfboard is pretty seaworthy, too.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-reg-capsized-boat-rescue-20171030-story.html

I paddled though the Jupiter Inlet twice. Sometimes it’s quite an adventure.

Edited by leong

Few thoughts:

I now have a potential play spot destination for some future trip.

Watching the swamping is striking and makes me wonder?? Assumptions about reaction time aside.

At the moment he realized he might have trouble should he have tried to slow the boat or speed up to get more in front of it?

Wonder if the boat was bow heavy?  Not trimmed right?

Wonder what his insurance company will do with it?

My thoughts, too, Paul!  I think there was some "finger-trouble" involved there...

Don't boats like that have some buoyancy?  Or would it have gone straight to the bottom?  And would the local police (or environmental ditto) have had grounds for issuing a citation for littering?  ;^)

Edited by Pintail

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 3:58 AM, Paul Sylvester said:

At the moment he realized he might have trouble should he have tried to slow the boat or speed up to get more in front of it?

My guess is speeding up would have lifted the bow and prevented the pearling (bow diving).

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pintail said:

You meant <purling>, Leong?  ;^)

Sir Christopher, you’re usually correct, but probably not this time. The definition of purling has to do with knitting; it's not the surfing term meaning the bow has submerged under the water while sliding down the face of the wave. I’m in good company spelling it pearling.

-Leon