Mike does the Norwegian Flip

cfolster

Another fun night at Lake Chebacco this past Thursday.  Here's video of Mike H. demonstrating the Norwegian Flip.  We're still working out exactly how it's done, so we'll report back next week after we've had a chance to do a few more.  I maintain it's a valid self rescue, and kinda fun!

00028.MTS

Give it a try and report back if you can explain exactly how to do it.

While this looks like a really fun trick and I'd love to try it, it's not a realistic rescue technique on anything other than flat, calm water. Frankly, if you have enough body control to pull this off consistently, you should be able roll and avoid the need to do this at all...except for fun and to entertain other paddlers. It's definitely great to watch, though I doubt I'd be able to do it.

Cathy and I can both do this, but can't explain how yet...that's what we're working on.  It's a great exercise in understanding a technique and then trying to explain it.

Not everything in life needs a practical purpose.  Obviously it's easier and more efficient to go head first onto your back deck like a seal and then to complete a taco roll (which I will maintain is a useful rescue, and works in conditions).  Sure is fun, though.  There's an impressive number of ways to blow it...

There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not." - Kenneth Grahame, Wind in the Willows    

2 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it......" - Kenneth Grahame, Wind in the Willows    

Where's the "adore" button.

phil

At last night's Walden (White's Pond) session, a few attempts were made to duplicate this feat of kayaking contortionism. Mike's video looks doubly-impressive now, having experienced how spectacularly this trick can go wrong. Congratulations are due to Mike, Cathy, and anyone else who can successfully perform this act of sorcery.