Wildlife around Lanes Cove recently...

Pintail

There is, floating in the water, just a few yards offshore, and approximately four hundred yards east of Annisquam lighthouse, the entire carcase (carcass, if you prefer) of a basking shark.  I thought it to be a young whale, at first, but was assured by people on terra firma nearby that it was the former.  Its torso, aft of the head, is hanging down in the water, making it hard to gauge its size; but it looks huge -- and neither could I see its dorsal markings, since it is floating belly-up.  The gape is enormous!  (There appear to be synthetic threads or lines entangled in its mouth -- of course!  What's new?)

There is also (or has been) an immature bald eagle hanging around the cove recently.  He or she gets mobbed by gulls and other avians, of course.  I have also seen two baby seals on the rocks at low water in the vicinity, one of which looked only about three feet in length!  I wish I had had a camera with me on all these occasions...

Edited by Pintail

So much entanglement lately in the news...at least 10 right whales in the Gulf of Maine this season alone....On a positive note I'll keep an eye out for that eagle...

Edited by BillyD