sore ankles???

josko

I've got a bit of a late start (with summer conditioning), but am trying to do what I can to catch up. I've learned to protect my shoulders and elbows (chronic early-season sore spots)  but seem to have issues with my ankles this year. It seems I'm (over?)working my ankles to push off the pegs, and they're quite sore and cramping up.  I haven't experienced this before and am wondering if anyone else has.  Boat's a Taran with stock footpegs - I realize that switching to a whole footplate or foamout might help, but I'm wondering what  this is telling me about technique; I think it's a technique problem and want to fix it before moving to gear workarounds. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 8:45 AM, josko said:

I'm considering switching to a Stellar footplate. Could anybody who's paddled with both comment on the difference between a footplate and footpegs? Thanks in advance

A footbar permits leg drive with your feet/knees close together. It's also easier on your feet. That’s also true with a foam block against the bulkhead, but it’s a hassle to change to different lengths.

Be sure that your kayak has a big enough cockpit and high enough deck to allow you to adopt a leg position like with a surf ski.

Besides the Onno, here’s a footbar with steering pedals I just found:
https://shop.expeditionkayaks.com/collections/kayak-accesories/products/the-big-foot-kayak-foot-plate-system

The nicest thing about my Epic 18X is that the cockpit is big enough for leg drive but still allows for leg bracing for rolling.

Are those dowels holding the two halves together that slide into holes to accommodate the tapering of the hull? If so, wouldn't a hard push break them apart?