Isle of Shoals paddle

Lbeale

Deb D. and I are hankerin' to do an Isle of Shoals day paddle--sooner rather than later in September--so now we need some guidance on tides, currents, and winds from the more experienced paddlers in the club who have done this day trip --we know that we need to do the paddle early in the morning and return before the winds kick up in the afternoon--so we plan to launch early say 6:00-6:30 am from Portsmouth Harbor--that we know--the rest is not clear-- particularly the tides and winds (is it better to launch with low tide in Portsmouth or return with low tide at Isle of Shoals--and other naviagational considerations like currents and landings (Star Island as a landing point?)--What are the particulars of paddling out to the Isle of Shoals--there will be more than two of us for obvious safety reasons--but to put together a weekend day trip we need more info--also, any articles or weblinks about paddling to Isle of Shoals would be helpful??? Thanks, les

Leslie,

The trip out to IOS is a bit anticlimatic most of the time.

If you leave with a land breeze (early morning) and return with ther seabreeze (early afternoon) you'll be fine. There are no tidal concerns of any consequence. The challenge is maintaining your course, keeping an eye out for drift and boat traffic. Other than that it's a bit of a mental game to concentrate on one thing for 90 minutes or so.

Smuttynose is one of the few places you can land without upsetting the residents. There a house for the caretakers and it's a pleasant island / location.

Concentrate on your headings and back-bearings 'cause the coast pretty much all looks the same on your way back. Rye Harbor is the most common launching point, be prepared to pay for parking and remember the ramp is primarily for motor boats.

It's actually a fun trip when the winds are up a bit but it's probably not th ebest time to test one's ability to paddling into a 20+ knot headwind.

Cheers, have fun!

Jed

>Deb D. and I are hankerin' to do an Isle of Shoals day

>paddle--sooner rather than later in September--so now we

>need some guidance on tides, currents, and winds from the

>more experienced paddlers in the club who have done this day

> trip --we know that we need to do the paddle early in the

>morning and return before the winds kick up in the

>afternoon--so we plan to launch early say 6:00-6:30 am from

>Portsmouth Harbor--that we know--the rest is not clear--

>particularly the tides and winds (is it better to launch

>with low tide in Portsmouth or return with low tide at Isle

>of Shoals--and other naviagational considerations like

>currents and landings (Star Island as a landing

>point?)--What are the particulars of paddling out to the

>Isle of Shoals--there will be more than two of us for

>obvious safety reasons--but to put together a weekend day

>trip we need more info--also, any articles or weblinks about

>paddling to Isle of Shoals would be helpful??? Thanks, les

>and other naviagational considerations like

>currents and landings (Star Island as a landing

>point?)>

Les,

I was just out there yesterday and Smuttynose (small beach at Haley Cove) is definitely a good place to land. The caretaker is quite friendly and you can follow a trail around the island that has some interesting aspects to it. I also found the hotel staff/guests to be equally accommodating when I landed on Star; however, if you want to avoid people, there is a small (stress small) beach on the southern side (to the left of the hotel) of Star that I had no trouble landing on it or leaving from it.

Based on the chart I have--It is best going out with the west winds and return with the east winds on our backs--thanks for the info on the launch site --Rye Harbor does look like the place--quite helpful--also info on Smuttynose--thanks to you both--les

Leslie,

It's certainly easier when the winds are blowing the "right" way, hence the early morning paddle out and early afternoon return trip. But like any paddling trip I've ever been on I usually get headwinds both ways. No matter, the winds will be light at those times of day. If there is a strong weather system affecting the area, a headwind on the way out is prefereable to one on the way back.

Your first trip out is often quite exciting, the subsequent trips less so. Enjoy yourself, do your homework, monitor conditions and your energy levels and you'll be fine. Give me a call and I'll tell you about an interesting trick you can use to monitor your progress during the trip.

Cheers,

Jed

603 321 9446

Hi Les! I did that paddle 2 yrs. ago and didn't have to leave that early. Just pick a day that isn't too windy and pay attention to your heading on the way out--then reverse it for the way back . It took me only 1 and 1/2 hrs to make the crossing. Excellent trip. Invite me up to your place and I'll go with you. Sam