CAM Summer Session August 27th

rfolster

We are holding another summer CAM session on Saturday August 27th, and will take place from Odiorne State Park (again!) as originally planned. Even though these sessions have been called "Continuing Education", they are really designed as an overview of the core principals of the Common Adventure Model, and should be an excellent introduction for those not familiar with it as well as a good review for others more familiar with the system.  We welcome anyone that wants to attend, whether or not you have ever attended any CAM sessions, but you must let us know ahead of time if you want to attend, as these will not be operated as Show-&-Go trips.

If you are not sure if your equipment meet the minimum requirements, contact me privately so we can determine if there are any possible solutions.The minimum requirements to attend this session are:
- Current NSPN membership (email membership at NPSN dot org with any membership issues)
- Seaworthy vessels with integral flotation (typically hatches) and deck lines
- PFD
- Spray Skirt
- Appropriate paddling attire, typically neoprene for summer months (no cotton clothing!)
- Willingness to participate as part of a cohesive group

This posting will act as our pre-trip planning discussion, and we will develop a plan for the trip together.  Our goal for the day is to review as much instruction and practical application as possible while still enjoying a day on the water, so don't expect this to be a long and arduous trip, or a day of working on only one skill set.  Some of the major aspects of the Common Adventure Model that we could review would include:
- Trip planning
- Beach briefing
- Launching and landing
- Maintaining communication on the water
- Moving together as a group
- Channel crossings
- Leadership and group dynamics
- Assessing and managing hazards
- Dealing with situations / rescues

In order to plan for a Level 2 trip, we will keep the distance under 10 nautical miles and currents less than 1 knot (mostly!).  Some possible trip option might be to circumnavigate New Castle Island, which is what we did last month, or go up to Brave Boat Harbor or down to Rye Harbor (for lobster rolls or some-such meal) but weather conditions will determine if these options are possible. This may end up being a Level 2+ trip with one condition or another being in the Level 3 range, which could be a really good opportunity for Level 2 paddlers to stretch their skills and comfort zone.  However, if any one condition exceeds the Level 3 range, we will redesign the trip to mitigate the condition, and if any one condition goes beyond Level 4, we will probably cancel.  Weather has been really nice so far, and it looks good for next weekend, so I am not that concerned yet, but we will have to watch it for the next couple of days.

Please post here if you are interested in attending, even if you are not sure that you actually will, and we will have an open discussion as to where we might go.  Leaders are more than welcome join in and offer their perspectives, provide support for the group, and give pointers and tips to individuals that might benefit.  I am looking forward to another really good day on the water, and seeing some new faces along with familiar ones.

Weather is looking really good for this to be a Level 2 trip!  We also have a number of potential leaders for the day, so I highly encourage anyone interested in learning about the Common Adventure Model to join us.

What do people like for launch and return times?

8 hours ago, rfolster said:

Weather is looking really good for this to be a Level 2 trip!  We also have a number of potential leaders for the day, so I highly encourage anyone interested in learning about the Common Adventure Model to join us.

What do people like for launch and return times?

Does a 10:00am beach briefing with return to launch around 4:00pm work for others?

Weather and tides look good for the lobster roll trip and the timing is fine by me.

We've got quite a group going, so may want to travel in two pods.

A couple of us are looking at 4 star, so in addition to the cam discussions and practice, it would be great to run some scenarios.  Could be one and the same if folks are interested.  Could also just enjoy paddling!

Tomorrow will be a beautiful day for a perfect L2 ocean journey.  We will start out with some discussion about CAM concepts and beach briefings before getting on the water, and then continue the discussions at various points during the day.  With the number of people attending, we will experiment with paddling as one group as well as splitting into two pods.  There is still time to join us, but not much, so everyone please confirm your intent to attend via PM to me by 6:00pm tonight and send the following info if you haven't already:

- Name and cell phone number
- Car make, model, color, and license plate # (including state)
- Boat make, model, and deck/hull colors
- Emergency contact name, relationship, and phone number

If you have given me this information in the past, just let me know if it is the same or any changes.

Sure, Steve.  Is your float plan info still the same from last CAM session?  If there are any changes, please send them to me via Private Message.