"local" knowledge request please-Bold Coast

gyork

Can't make it all the way on one tide. On the ebb, you'll have ~100 yds between the rocks and main (~2 kt peak) current flow, with occasional 'pinch points' at minor headlands - all easy to get through.  On the flood, you still have ~100 yds of slackish water, but can ride in the waves for an extra couple knots. Beware the main swell that makes it all the way inshore at slack tides. pm for rmore info if you'd lke.  We made if from Cross island to Baileys mistake in one day, followed by an easy run from Bailey's to Lubec.

Edited by josko

I wish I had done it. Below link is from Michael Daugherty's blog. I read a little about the BC in his new sea kayaking guide last night but must have been too tired to remember much this AM. His guide describes kayaking the Bold Coast in detail and divides it into two sections. I remember him mentioning going about a mile out to catch the "Downeast Express" but he describes various strategies at various distances from the shore using currents and counter-currents, depending on how much you want to see the coast or just get by it as fast as possible. Here's a report from a section of the Bold Coast in which currents are mentioned. On his blog, you'll find a link to his e-mail.

http://seakayakstonington.blogspot.com/search?q=bold+coast

On 8/1/2016 at 9:19 PM, josko said:

Can't make it all the way on one tide. On the ebb, you'll have ~100 yds between the rocks and main (~2 kt peak) current flow, with occasional 'pinch points' at minor headlands - all easy to get through.  On the flood, you still have ~100 yds of slackish water, but can ride in the waves for an extra couple knots. Beware the main swell that makes it all the way inshore at slack tides. pm for rmore info if you'd lke.  We made if from Cross island to Baileys mistake in one day, followed by an easy run from Bailey's to Lubec.

We have traveled from Cross to Lubec with an early AM launch to make the flood.   We took the escalator for a quick ride up.  The big flow was about a 1/2 - 3/4 miles off shore.   Please keep in mind that you have to make it through the Lubec bridge with the flow as you won't be able to paddle against it.     We made it to Eastport in time for Lunch.

7 hours ago, jason said:

......... you have to make it through the Lubec bridge with the flow as you won't be able to paddle against it.   

Thanks of all the input so far folks.  As a rule of thumb when riding the flood from points south, 1.5-2h before high water @ St. John, the current will turn against you through the Narrows, increasing up to 6K at HT.

Jason, do you remember what the flow was on the "Escalator"?  I have seen data of 3K max flood-does that seem right? 

45 minutes ago, gyork said:

Jason, do you remember what the flow was on the "Escalator"?

And do you recall the moon cycle (neaps, springs, quarter phase)?

It should have been 8/29/2008 when we did that leg of the paddle.   I bet that someone on the forum can lookup the data for the day. :-)

The flow was at least 3 knots moving north.  It was like riding a fast escalator/moving walkway.   It was a gorgeous bright blue day with flat seas.    They use large round balls  (think large mooring balls) in place of lobster buoys and they were being submerged by the current.   

You'll have about 6 hours to go about 20 miles.  If you leave before the flood starts and go out into the current, you should be able to make it.  If not, you can take out in Carrying Place Cove just before West Quoddy Head.  There is a path from the cove to the road (maybe too long to carry a kayak - and will leave you in the middle of nowhere) You'll see where you have to go to catch the offshore current.  The water is much more textured there and you will see and feel the difference.  If you need to do this all in one day, that is one thing.  If you can take your time and paddle right up next to the coast, you'll enjoy the area more.  The current is far enough out that you will not enjoy the rocky coast and cliffs way out there.  You will miss out on what the area has to offer for scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd consider Michael the authority on this trip, having done it quite a few times.  You'll find a wealth of information in his guidebook.   Definitely doable in one day, but the flood current is indeed 1/2 mile or more offshore for much of the trip. 

I'd disagree with one statement above that the water is much choppier out where the current is stronger.  This depends entirely on the wind direction and the current direction.  I have seen days where the 1/2 mile close to shore is extremely rough during the flood, because the eddy current is opposed by the southwest winds.  Similarly, I've seen days where the ebb current creates crazy conditions 1/2 mile offshore, while the eddys (moving north) are very flat. 

For those interested in paddling this area with an expert, I'll mention that Michael is leading a 5-day journey training along the Downeast coast, September 6-10.  While exact itineraries in an area like this are subject to conditions, paddling the bold coast section from Cutler to Lubec is definitely on the table for that course. 

Nate

http://www.pinnipedkayak.com/sea-kayaking-classes-calendar/?category=Journeys

2 hours ago, NateHanson said:

I'd disagree with one statement above that the water is much choppier out where the current is stronger.  This depends entirely on the wind direction and the current direction.  I have seen days where the 1/2 mile close to shore is extremely rough during the flood, because the eddy current is opposed by the southwest winds.  Similarly, I've seen days where the ebb current creates crazy conditions 1/2 mile offshore, while the eddys (moving north) are very flat.

Gary and I found this to be true for our trip.  We were never able to identify the "conveyor belt' of current since a south wind was with the flooding current, and made all of the water look the same.  I was also very much surprised to find plenty of current closer along the shore with not much difference out a half mile or so.  Perhaps it was because we were not on a spring tide, and the currents were not strong enough to create a large back eddy along the shoreline.  This was the first of many surprises about the trip where my expectations were not met by the actual conditions.  I will elaborate on the trip report which you can read here.