Hi-

What are conditions like for paddling in the vicinity of

Beverly Harbor, specifically in the vicinity of Lynch Park,

several hours before high tide? High tide in the harbor

occurs around noon-ish Saturday. Would paddling around

8 or 9 am be worth while?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

The beach at Lynch Park is fine for launching at high tide but is long and shallow such that you face a long mucky portage at low tide. I can't say much about how close to high tide you want to paddle, their your boots after all. In the neighbourhood you will also find Tuck Point in the shadow of the new Salem-Beverly bridge. You can drive on the beach and park on the side street. I haven't been there in season yet, in the off-season parking isn't a problem. I was there at 8:30AM on a Wednesday recently and parking looked feasible. It gets pretty shallow at low tide in the vicinity of Tuck Point such that you want stay on the Beverly side as you reach the "mouth". If you make your way up the coast near Misery Island Chub Creek provides a bit of standing wave to play in at favourable times. The area provides a nice assortment of islands and rocks.

Beverly harbor is very sheltered, but watch for boat traffic and wake. There is no need to cross the boat channels as you can easier paddle along the shoreline.

If you launch at Lynch park wear shoes/sandles with firm soles because, if I recall correctly, the bottom has shells and quite likely broken glass. A few hours before high tide will mean only a short haul across the not-too-icky flat to get to water.

There used to be an outfitter at Lynch who rented kayaks to anyone wanting to go out. I don't know if he is still there, but that is an indication of how sheltered it is.

Liz N.

A southerly breeze can have a significant fetch on the Beverly side, so there can be some chop that has built. Brought Bob's son out once on one of his first outings. It was a only a 6-8 knot breeze, but the chop had built to a foot making a challenge for him.

Yep, a southerly wind can make it uncomfortable for a novice paddler. You're pretty much OK if you stay near the moorings, but once you get out towards Salem harbor or past Lynch Park, it is exposed and can get choppy. There can be a lot of boat traffic, but usually in the evening (on a non-race weekday night) it's pretty quiet.

Thanks for the valuable input from everyone. Regarding

wind direction and fetch, I would assume that a more

westerly wind direction would mean smaller wave heights

along the shoreline of Beverly. Though I realize that

this weekend's marine forecast is for S-SE winds, I'm

just trying to understand water surface conditions as

a function of wind direction. It's probably mentioned

in my copy of "The Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation".

Just thought I'd ask here...

Regards,

Gary

Water surface conditions and wind direction are also a function of currents. Wind drives waves ahead of it as does the current. When wind and water direction are opposed to other the waves tend to stand up. When they are not directly opposed to each other you get confused seas. When they are more or less in line the waves travel faster and tend to flatten out.

Currents are primarily a function of tides but also are effected by the geography of the waterway. A slimmer path results in higher flow, rocks and other land features create eddys and other circulating condtions.

Read the book.