John Huth Weather Wind and Waves Workshop, Sunday February 28th

PeterB

John Huth Weather and Waves Workshop  

Sunday , February 28th  

Meeting Room REI , Reading, MA 

11:30AM to 4:00 PM  

(THIS EVENT has been  RESCHEDULED from February 13th) 

John Huth once again has volunteered his time to present a workshop for NSPN on Weather Wind and Waves  and how these apply  to sea kayaking. John's past presentations have been favorites of club members. John is a long time NSPN member, and  has a unique set of qualifications  to present on this subject as he is both a physics professor/ lecturer at Harvard University  and an  experienced  sea kayaker. Johns  experiences as a sea kayaker  have stimulated him to focus some of his academic research  on kayak related aspects of the physical world, and he  recently published a book on primitive navigation. "The Lost Art of Finding Our Way"      
This is a  workshop  you won't want to miss.

Johns past courses have broadly  covered  issues of weather and waves: the approach of warm and cold fronts, how to read cloud formations, wind. ,  the air circulation around high and low pressure systems, and how to evaluate weather signs. 

Members have come away  from past workshops with a heightened understanding and appreciation  of the physical forces that affect us while on the water:  This session  will help the sea kayaker evaluate and respond to rapidly changing local conditions through observations and decision making.

The session will last from 11:30 PM to  @ 4:00PM and there there all be ample opportunity for snacks, questions and  participation. 
The REI meeting room is in the right rear of the store. REI opens at 11:00AM on Sundays.  

Please RSVP in the calendar posting for this session: REI has  not-unlimited space and past workshops have been very well attended.  

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has particular things they'd like to see in the course, please let me know.    I'm probably going to mix some aspects of predicting and handling conditions with some aesthetic considerations.   Under aesthetic considerations - I've done some work learning wave piloting in the Marshall Islands - variants of this can be done along parts of the New England coastline. 

On February 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM, mhabich said:

There doesn't seem to be a way to RSVP to this event, although it is possible for some other events. Perhaps RSVP has to be enabled when the event is posted?

Mike, go to Calendar, click on the course, a description willl come up, woth rsvp to the left.  I just looked again and it wad there and I had no trouble rsvping.

Thanks for the update.   One item on the topic of waves I'm going to try to cover is interpreting NOAA forecasts.  After that, there's what does *not* appear in NOAA forecasts, so I will talk some about observing swells versus wind driven chop, multiple sources of waves, and surf beat.    In part, I'm posting mostly so I remember to include these in the workshop.