Defending Walden Pond and Thoreau

leong

In the October 19, 2015 issue of “The New Yorker” magazine there’s a mostly negative article about Henry David Thoreau, titled “Pond Scum”. In the November 9, 2015 issue of the same magazine there’s a great rebuttal in “The Mail” section. It’s from, a former NSPN-er and my old kayak race-training partner, Sanjay Gulati. Among other things Sanjay says,

“By the way: the only scum floating on Walden Pond is the Walden Pond Scum, a group of kayakers learning Greenland kayaking techniques; I’m a member. We pay tribute to Thoreau’s curiosity about Native Americans, whom he approached as respectfully as he did everyone on the “wrong side” of Route 2 from the citizens of Concord, whose closed-mindedness he disdained.”

-Leon

Speaking of kayakers in the media that many of us know, did anyone (other than me) see 20/20 on ABC Friday night? It was an hour program about the Hudson River kayak murder case, with Todd Wright hired by the network - and appearing on air - to offer thoughts and opinions about the boat and etc.

pru

Pru,

Thanks for the heads up. I just watched the 20-20 episode on-line. Of course I agree with Todd Wright’s assessment that the missing paddle barrel connector and drain plug would be of minor consequence. Nevertheless, even though removing these items wouldn’t be sufficient to murder someone, if, indeed, the girlfriend did tamper with these items it sure seems like her intent was murder. Intent to murder is a serious crime even if the specific preparations didn’t work. Given that her intent was murder then the weather gods were her accomplices; i.e. the weather and river conditions were the proximate causes of the boyfriend’s death.

-Leon

PS
A recurring scream of mine is this: I wish that there were some standard nomenclature to distinguish sea kayaks and sea kayakers from the novices that paddle floating vessels that look like plastic bathtubs We don’t call people who walk up hills mountaineers, do we?

PPS
Does anyone have a personal email address for my old friend Dr. Sanjay Gulati? I’m reluctant to call his medical office.

Thanks for the heads-up as to Todd being on TV. I found it and plan on watching it: http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-accused-death-fianc-york-kayak-murder-case/story?id=34976440

Carl was on another segment of the video. I left it running, not paying much attention then I heard Carl's voice and I had to rewind it.