Swan's Island recon

Dabend

I'm planning a trip to Deer Isle Thoroughfare/Eggemoggin Reach and was considering a paddle over to Swan's Island. Trying to pick routes and was hoping there was someone out there with personal experience paddling to and around the island. Thanks.

David

Edited by DavidA

David,

Mel and I tagged it Saturday (9/12) from Mt Desert, and I've circumnaved it out of Old Quarry. Shoot me an p.m. if I can help.

(Oops, I accidentally posted this from Mel's account. I'm 'josko'.)

Edited by Mel

Hi David,

We have paddled in the area a couple of times. We launched from Brooklin (we had prior permission to park and launch from the Wooden Boat School, but you could also launch from the public launch at Naskeag point). From there it's an exposed but relatively short crossing to the vicinity of Opechee Island and then a sheltered run down to the north shore of Swan. The shoreline of swan is beautiful and interesting. In summer, a swim in the freshwater quarry is very welcome. There are a couple of MITA islands in the area; but also check the website of the Maine Coast Heritage Trust as they have a couple of stunning islands you can camp on, including Marshall and Hog (near Brooklin). PM me for gps tracks or any other questions.

On the return this year we paddled directly from the northern end of Marshall to Saddleback in the Stonington archipelago; conditions were ideal for the ~ 4 mile crossing, but it is very exposed otherwise.

Barry.

Edited by bazzert

I second using Brookline area. At least during "season". Current runs strong so it can be a fast ride down and back with planning.

Now Stonington would be fine and that would make IAH, Marshall (definitely visit it) and Swan's easy on long weekend. Now is great time up there till weather turns.

Also, visit Frenchboro on Long Island. Great place and real fishing village.

Ed Lawson