topo. maps vs hydrographical charts

josko

I typically use charts since I started out with MapTech charts, which have topo features on them, and have gotten used to them. We used both maps and charts in Scotland since their charts don't offer the topo info. I don't think I would rely on just topo maps since charts offer valuable information that is needed when kayaking, such as the intertidal zones.

IMHO topos can come in handy when paddling remote areas without a lot of beta about them. Good for most importantly picking out water sources, but also good for finding flatish areas to camp. Good auxiliary to charts. Or for that truly special area where charts aren't even offered it makes a great reference source.

I have used maps of the Delorme Gazetteer ilk, and have drawn in (rough estimate) aids to navigation such as nuns and cans, using an on-line nautical chart as reference. I will study the on-line nautical charts and notate on the Delorme chart any areas of concern.