motorized vessels

JohnHuth

Paging Brian Nystrom.

You posted something a while back about lobster boats. I had an odd experience with some lobster boats on Monday. They were positively aggressive - and I try to let them go about their work and am very careful about being evasive, but I found that they have a pretty dim view of kayakers.

I was wondering if you could e-mail me with your thoughts, or perhaps repost it?

Many thanks!

John Huth

I don't recall the post you're referring to. Are you sure it was me?

As for lobster boats, I try to give them a pretty wide berth, but sometimes you can't avoid them. I've seen situations where the "captain" of the boat was so fixed on his depth finder that he wasn't watching where he was going, creating probems for kaykers in the vicinity. This could easily be mistaken for aggressive behavior. Were you actually harrassed by them physically or verbally? If that was the case, I'd report them to the Coast Guard and the local authorities. They may be out there working, but the water belongs to everyone. They do not have an exclusive right to be there. On the other hand, there's no point in getting involved in a conflict out on the water.

I grew up on the coast of Maine and knew a lot of lobstermen----some of them not only don't like kayakers, they don't like anybody else on the water or out of it for that matter---most are ok though---as long as you keep out of their way--when youre paddling amongst lots of lobster bouys and you see a boat, the color of the bouy on top of the boat is the color of the bouy attached to the traps that boat is pulling---helps you stay out of his way. and most of them will give you a helping hand if you do get in trouble on the water. Jon

Well, I thought you did - but perhaps not.

I was out on a crossing up in Maine and got socked in by a fog bank in the middle of the crossing. No problems for me - I had all the comnpass bearings and that kind of thing.

I was also careful to keep an ear out for boats, and try to practice defensive kayaking (i.e. I assume that can't see me, which is a pretty good assumption).

Anyway, a couple of lobster boats hove into view through the fog - I'd managed to avoid them.

I had my VHF onto their channel and they were talking about me (the guy in the yellow and white kayak off the poing), saying stuff like they'd run me over and not stop, spraying me with their deck hose etc. Fortunately, I avoided all that, but I got the impressing that they sure didn't like sharing "their" water with anyone.

John

Can't say that we have ever had a hostile run in with lobstermen in Maine. The mention of reading the trap on the boat is a good one. Once you know what traps are his,you can read the string he is working,and stay clear. I can understand why some lobstermen develop an attitude. I have seen some new kayakers,or those in rentals,make some really poor moves,like paddling into a busy channel,and stop to admire the view.

I look at this way-I'm playing-he's working-and I don't want to be in his way while he is trying to work.

Actually,we have had some good moments with lobstermen.

[http://www.mita.org/img/mitanewswinter04.pdf] see the article "Lucky Lobsterman"

And to top the story-this guy says" I knew it was a kayaker found m' wallet-was a lobstaman Ida never seen it again!"

Dan,

Loved the article!

Good job for returning the wallet - you guys have always been tops in my book even though you paddled out of Popham for your first ocean trip in Perception Carolina's! (That's another story for the MITA newsletter!)

Suz

thought i would share a bad experience i had several years ago.

i was just beyond the green islands en route to matinicus on a

clear sunny day with about 1 foot seas. i saw a large lobster

boat about 1/2 to 1 mile away picking up pots. after a while

they began heading in my direction. i assumed they were returning

to port. i paddled to stay out of their line of travel, but it

seemed like they were maintaining a direct course for me. in the

final 100 yards i was convinced i was going to be run over and

just paddled as fast as i could. they ended up less than 10 feet

off my stern at a fast clip. they looped back and told me that

didn't see me (flat seas, sunny day, bright yellow kayak, white

paddle, yellow life jacket, and no other vessel for miles). i was

in such a state of shock i barely replied to them and didn't have

the where-with-all to get the boat description. they did not head

into port, but immediately returned to the spot they had been

working. just a couple of good'ol boys having their form of fun

by scaring the living daylights out of someone.

steve formisani

I don't think it's limited to lobstermen. I actually personally know some in Maine and the ones I know are very thoughtful and wouldn't pull any stuff like that, but I reckon there must always be a few.

A few more experiences: in Nantucket Sound, a guy was out in a new, hot-shot fiberglass speedster boat. He started doing "doughnuts" around me, even though I was trying to stay away. He wouldn't leave me alone, so I finally got out my flare gun and calmly loaded it in plain view. Although I had no intention of using it in the way you might think, my bluff was enough for him to leave.

The other was a discussion with the harbor master about a kayak that had been the victim of hit-and-run. The boater was cited for drunk-boating in Nantucket, but crossed over to the Cape anyway. In approaching the harbor, he ran over a kayak and fled the scene. Fortunately, the paddler was unharmed, and the police managed to catch up with the boater.

While I wouldn't call it "harmless", it seems like typical grumbling they might do when they think no one is listening. Had I been in that situation, I might have been tempted to break into the conversation simply to mention that "kayakers have VHF radios, too". That probably would have ended the conversation in a hurry.

Suz,

We can look back at the Ft. Popham story and laugh now. I use that for the "kids don't try this at home!" story for new kayakers.

Funny thing is we haven't been back there since. I should go back and have a "what were we thinking?" moment.

Took a run through Lower Hell Gate last Sunday. Water drops 2ft+ coming off the North side of Beal into LHG.Looks like 4-5 kts into standing waves. Heartrate about 200 on that one!

Just looking for trouble...but that's where the fun is!:-)