Any interesting places to paddle in Western MA?

BigBird

Going to be out in the Sturbridge area tomorrow and was looking for an interesting place to paddle? Anywhere along the MA Pike from Sturbridge back towards 495 would work. Up towards Rt 2 Amherst would work too. Thanks!

I realize I am a day late, BigBird; but was the minimum speed limit a problem? Quote: <...Anywhere along the MA Pike...>

Secondly (lookout: language police at work, this time): a "pike" is a type of weapon for spearing your enemy or perhaps even removing their head! Perhaps you meant " 'Pike" with an apostrophe? Or, better, turnpike? (It's exactly the same thing with members who write about their "yaks", when I am sure they do not mean an Asian beast of burden) That woman who wrote "Eats Shoots and Leaves" started this -- bless her heart!

Edited by Pintail

Perhaps you meant " 'Pike" with an apostrophe?

Sorry Sir Christopher, but while I know you are attempting to be amusing, the word "pike" is actually proper usage as a an abbreviation of Turnpike as verified by both Oxford and Miriam-Webster dictionaries.

I see you are quite right, for there it is in my Oxford, too! Well, you learn something every day -- I would have expected it to need an apostrophe. However, the need for an abbreviation still amuses me -- four letters need shortening? Same thing with "yak" -- saving <two> letters? Oy, vey!

Apologies: I retract the original complaint.

Thanks folks - I didn't see any replies on Sunday am so we just loaded up the yaks (for Pintail) and ventured West. We ended up at Tully Lake in Athol - it was just what we were looking for. Nice lake with several islands to paddle around and explore.