JetBoil Stove

Gcosloy

I have an original Jetboil that I hardly ever use anymore, take an alcohol stove backpacking, white gas stove kayak camping, and a thermos for day paddles. If I was to buy again I'd get the flash with the ignitor, they used to have a titanium jobbie, but probably simplified their product line when Johnson outdoors bought them.

I'd be tempted to check out the MSR equivalent now, always liked their stuff, not sure how it compares but looks good online.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/stove-systems/windboiler/product

I have an original Jetboil that I hardly ever use anymore, take an alcohol stove backpacking, white gas stove kayak camping, and a thermos for day paddles. If I was to buy again I'd get the flash with the ignitor, they used to have a titanium jobbie, but probably simplified their product line when Johnson outdoors bought them.

I'd be tempted to check out the MSR equivalent now, always liked their stuff, not sure how it compares but looks good online.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/stove-systems/windboiler/product

I researched these over the winter and ended up getting the JetBoil MiniMo, having been swayed by the enhanced simmer control and the possibility of cooking food, rather than just boiling water.

The issue with cooking food in the jetboil isn't the flame height, it's that the flame is very concentrated against a very thin cooking surface. For heating water my jet boil is great. For cooking it has no value (unless you are into burnt stuck on food).

The issue with cooking food in the jetboil isn't the flame height, it's that the flame is very concentrated against a very thin cooking surface. For heating water my jet boil is great. For cooking it has no value (unless you are into burnt stuck on food).

The Minimo is a new variant with a supposedly much improved flame intensity and a wider pot. Arguably you can simmer in it. We'll have to wait for a report from DanF as to if that's actually true. Great for hot water though.

best

Phil

Since I do a lot of backpacking, I watch the weight of gear, and have been wary of the jet boil because of weight, but I've met many backpackers who love it. It might, in the long run, save weight on fuel, I'm not sure. It might be interesting to try to look at the tradeoffs.

Tangential story - some time ago when I wasn't so well connected, I hired a guide to paddle with out of Jonesport - four day trip. Certainly a great guy, but I can't resist relating this. We were camped on Bois Bubert. I had out my pocket rocket isopro, and he was trying to impress me with his jetboil with how fast it worked. Unfortunately, he knocked it over, spilling boiling water on his bare foot. He shouted...."what do I do? what do I do?" I suggested that he go down to the waterline, and soak his foot for 10 minutes in the 50 degree water, which he did. Made me wonder why I hired a guide, but honestly, it *was* worth it.

Yes, I agree that the jetboil is good for boiling water and thats it. It boils water till the cows come home, but when I tried to cook something in it ; instant burning on the inside surface of the container.
Once I tried to heat hot chocolate in it. At home I'm an expert at heating hot chocolate in a saucepan; you just know when to stop when little foamy bubbles just begin to form and bubble on the surface. At that point, you have maybe thirty seconds before it starts to seriously foam and froth upward. In the jet boil, little foamy bubbles appeared just like at home, but in one second , (giving no time to react even when babysitting the process) it then erupted into a volcano of foam which overflowed and cascaded down the side of the jetboil. A total mess. From then on, i have had a rule, jet boil for boiling water only.

A jetboil is also good as a backup or assistant device in group camping; you can boil water fast and supply the main chef or other people with fast bits of hot water as needed.

Yes, it is also a bit top heavy and needs a bit of extra vigilance to prevent tipping and spilling.

I do like my JetBoil for heating water. For cooking I like my MSR Whisperlite Universal. On longer trips in Alaska it is all about backup systems, so we typically carry at least four stoves (Whisperlite, Whisperlite Universal, two JetBoils) and two different kinds of fuel (white gas and canisters). This approach has served us well and we eat well!

Warren