Woods Hole passage, 3/8

josko

Tried out woods Hole passage with 45F air, 31F water, and heavy ice. (Kinda like Labrador last summer.) At one point ALL the passage buoys were submerged, but a few kept popping up through the ice. I didn't have the brawn to play with both ice and current, just spent a great couple hrs watching the ice float by and play ice bumper-boats. It was really pretty awesome. Most USCG buoys in the area have drifted considerably or are just plain gone. One of the outside channel markers was right next to the NOAA dock, a trip of ~1.5 miles. I would absolutely not trust USCG buoys until a Notice to Mariners comes out sayint rthey're all back in place.

Edited by josko

Tried out woods Hole passage with 45F air, 31F water, and heavy ice. (Kinda like Labrador last summer.) At one point ALL the passage buoys were submerged, but a few kept popping up through the ice. I didn't have the brawn to play with both ice and current, just spent a great couple hrs watching the ice float by and play ice bumper-boats. It was really pretty awesome. Most USCG buoys in the area have drifted considerably or are just plain gone. One of the outside channel markers was right next to the NOAA dock, a trip of ~1.5 miles. I would absolutely not trust USCG buoys until a Notice to Mariners comes out sayint rthey're all back in place.

I would love to see some pictures. The water by me is too solid for a paddle. I was able to do a ~10 mile hike on the ocean two weeks ago.

post-100196-0-41412800-1426106007_thumb.

This was taken by a friend:

Thanks for sharing the video. It was really well done. It makes one almost want to go out and get a drone. My guess is that it has to take 100's of hours of fly time to fly that smoothly.