Bay of Fundy Symposium

josko

I'd certainly recommend it. I've been at both of the previous 2 symposiums, and I think it's been a very well run event. Great paddling locations as well, and a good range of courses for everyone from comfortable beginners to experienced thrill-seekers.

The ferry to Yarmouth should make for a convenient trip from Southern New England. Though the drive to the Saint John Ferry isn't bad either.

Edited by Nate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So who all's going from NSPN? We're planning to stick around for a week or so after they symposium and are looking for places to paddle.

That Shubie river looks interesting, but chocolate water color is of-putting.

By the way, they say they still have plenty of room and open sessions.

The Shubie is worth the trip. Launch where the power rafts put in and set a shuttle up if possible.

The red mud and water is not that bad. Cape D'or is in the area sets up as a decent tidal race. Launch from the little cove/ village south of it at near dead low tide. The harbor is empty and you paddle out a little stream as the large boats are grounded.

Not for newbies.

• 5 months later...

So we have a group of 4 going over on the ferry Thursday, 9/25 and paddling around Nova Scotia for a week after the symposium. Still looking for ideas on where to paddle the week after the symposium. (Shubie looks too chocolatey to be appetizing.) Do we have any NSPN-ers going?

If you want a shot a flatter water go north of Halifax to Tangiers. Park at Scott Cunningham's kayak center... Coastal Adventures?? And head out to the islands from there. Many safer areas if the swells are coming in and you can camp anywhere. There are beaches for surfing near Halifax but never personally got there.

Close to Advocate harbor in Fundy there is a neat little campground call Shipyard or something. Put in right there but a long way to the water at low tide. You can go out of Advocate harbor and avoid the race at Cape D'or and it will give you a good idea of what Fundy is all about. The Flower Pots is further down and cool I hear..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To me, this was a bit of a letdown. It seems BOFSK is really focused at the 2* crowd - got a good 3 days of 2-3* instruction, but really came away wishing they could at least have found us some current >2 knots. After the symposium, we went looking for conditions and fond them aplenty.