Camping/general use rain jacket

gyork

Years ago I purchased a Marmot Precip jacket, based on glowing reviews (Backpacker, I think). It travels on my kayakcamping trips, doubling as rain gear and excellent windblock layer. It has been my go-to layer for daily use on rainy days. It now has serious delamination issues, despite a history of gentle use. Of course I will send it back and hope for a replacement, though some reviews report a several month wait time.

What is your experience/recommendation with YOUR rain jacket, including customer service/warranty issues? Thank you.

gary

Patagonia's been incredibly good to me wrt delamination issues. Just drop it off at the Boston store and get either a replacement off the shelf (if they have it in stock) or one mailed-in within 3 days. I have a rain jacket back from the 80's they've already replaced twice. It's seen a LOT of use, although it seems to delaminate eventually in the neck/collar area.

As to favorite kayaking raingear, I find the Kokatat Gore-Tex Cagoule hard to beat. I've had no delamination issues with mine to date, however, although I practically lived in it for a month this summer.

Edited by josko

I too owned the PreCip jacket and used it for backpacking and kayaking trips for years. Finally the waterproofing failed and could not be revived. I figured I'd gotten my money's-worth and, after a lot of research on jackets, moved on to an Outdoor Research Revel, found inexpensively on Sierra Trading. It's more heavy-duty and has served me very well so far, in some extended heavy downpours. I have never been disappointed in OR gear, for the perfect balance of price and functionality.

I am a Kokatat Gore-Tex Cag guy myself, although I must say I have not spent much time camping in the rain. However, I like the idea of one piece of gear that I can wear in camp as well as on the water (which I HAVE done!) instead of two separate items.

Just for the record, I have worn my OR rain jacket on the water in rain (admittedly won't fasten over pfd), and around camp as a windbreaker. Lot cheaper than a cag, but I know most people are very happy with their pumpkin costume :)

The problem you describe is the main reason that I buy Gore-Tex rain gear. Over the course of 30 years or so, I've had a three pieces start to delaminate (one after more than a decade of frequent use) and they were replaced with no questions asked. One of those was a dry suit that would have cost a grand to replace. As for brands, buy whatever fits you best. Gore's testing system for garments guarantees that it will be waterproof, regardless of who makes it, so fit is the most important concern.

BTW, the dry suit above was made by a company that stopped using Gore-Tex (Stohlquist), so Gore replaced it with a Kokatat suit. You simply cannot beat their quality, warranty or service.