Winners of the Annual NSPN Awards!

PeterB

The winners of the 2014 NSPN annual awards are usually announced at the Holiday party earlier in December , but we didnt have enough votes from our members at that time ,so we continued collecting votes for the rest of December and can now announce 2014 winners of the NSPN awards!

Founders Award: Bob Levine

The Founders Award is given to the person deemed by the members of the club to have done the most to keep the NSPN spirit alive by giving of themselves to better the club, in ways that may not always be visible.

Bob has served as Clerk on the Board of Directors, and has organized such events as the New to Sea Kayaking workshop and the Salem Swim Fin, and has generally been a respected and well liked mentor and figure behind the scenes in NSPN .

Traverso Award : Andy Shoeck

"The Traverso award goes to the member who has shown the most improvement through taking a "never quit attitude in the last year. This award is supported by a memorial gift in honor of Jim Traverso, a member who lost his life on the Sun Kosi River in Nepal in 1999. Jim was a dedicated teacher, guide, adventurer, and lover of the outdoors."

Andy only took up sea kayaking a little over a year ago and has already developed his paddling skils to a remarkable degree, by working tirelessly at pool sessions, instruction, and on club trips and events.

Paddler of the Year Award: Rob Folster

"The Paddler of the Year Award is given to the person who made the greatest contributions to benefit the club's membership."
Rob has been a central figure both on and off the water for NSPN, has been at almost all club events, has been a presence both posting and participating in club paddles, and his devotion to NSPN has done much to keep the club's spirit alive.

Congratulations, Bob, Andy and Rob!

Congrats guys! Well deserved all around!!!

Bob, I remember back a few years to my first NSPN Paddle in Salem Sound. It was in my first year of serious paddling. I had no idea who you were but thought as I scoped out the group that I'd tag along. I was new to the group and experiencing a few butterflies. You looked like a stable figure :) As I shadowed you into some rocks the next thing I'm looking at is the bottom of your boat. I remember thinking ... oh &$%#. I had watched You Tube videos on assisted rescues and practiced a bunch on fresh water, but this felt like the real thing. Only in retrospect did I recognize you had set this up. I've since developed a deep respect for your dedication to training and your reflective yet go get em approach.

Andy, it seems like most any time I assess my progress, you come to mind. I've appreciated the times we have had the opportunity to paddle together. I remember the first time we paddled together on a post Thanksgiving jaunt. We paddled out of Manchester to Baker Island and beyond. Somewhere in our meandering we both answered the question... "so, how long have you been paddling?" I thought the combination of my helmet, liner (it was cold) and yes, advancing years had contributed to a hearing deficiency, when I thought I heard your tenure described in months, not years. Your progression has been fun to watch and yet, not to sound sentimental, inspirational to someone who has taken up the sport/obsession later in life.

Rob, having been involved in many nonprofits over the years, I've come to realize that there are a handful of folks who represent the backbone of the organization. They are not always the most visible but represent a steady influence on the trajectory and value of the organization. I have the privilege of counting you as a friend and have come to really appreciate the reflection and critique you bring to paddling scenarios and technique. It's greatly assisted my own learning and progression. You've made me better.

Again, well deserved by all. You are each able carriers of the Club DNA... "pass it forward".