Wrist gaskets and tendonitis

Dan Foster

I went out for a paddle on Christmas day (first paddle in a while), and within a few minutes I noticed some pain in my non-dominant hand, roughly from the index finger, along the back of the hand, and around my wrist. I was wearing heavy gloves and a newish drysuit with untrimmed/unstretched gaskets. I removed the gloves and managed to slide the gasket further up my forearm so that my wrist bones were exposed. The pain went away and I continued paddling, concentrating on keeping a loose grip on the paddle.

I had heard anecdotal evidence from another paddler that tight wrist gaskets gave him tendonitis at an event this autumn. I did a quick google search this morning and only found two mentions of tendonitis and wrist gaskets.

So, I ask here - is wrist pain or tendon issues a real problem with cold-weather paddling, and am I correct in blaming overly-tight wrist gaskets? Any tips to avoid wrist injury, regardless of cause?

Overly tight wrist gaskets sometimes cause numbness and tingling in my fingers. Stretching the gaskets out over a glass can help loosen them just a bit. I have had some issues with carpal tunnel and when it was at its worst I definitely noticed the pressure from the wrist gaskets exacerbated it. In terms of prevention from a paddling perspective, maintaining a neutral wrist position (as opposed to cranking) throughout strokes is recommended. Also improving my ergonomics at my desk job made a difference for me.

I always trim my gaskets until absolutely comfortable. If they feel tight, I can't handle it because my hands freeze up. I probably over trim them for comfort but my glacier gloves with wrap around straps provide me with an additional water tight seal. I also found that " Coast Guard Gaskets" from Kokatat are much more comfortable than traditional stock gaskets.

Doug

The " Coast Guard Gaskets" from Kokatat or "thick" gaskets are shaped differently than the regular gaskets. CG gaskets are made to be trimmed and are the shape of a cone. The regular gaskets are shaped like a funnel and are NOT made to be trimmed. They are best stretched. Due to their shape, if you do trim them, you will have more contact in one area and it will be more uncomfortable and not less.

I switched over to the CG gaskets years ago when I was developing carpal tunnel like symptoms that were exacerbated with a wrist gasket. Turns out that it was shoulder related and not wrist related and postural changes prevent the symptoms. (Clenching and gripping - which is what happens when wearing gloves when you don't normally...)

The CG gaskets are not for everyone - slimmer wrist people tend to get wet when wearing. Also some people find when doing WW or surf that their lower arms are wetter. My wrists are considered "larger" and I don't trim the wrist gaskets at all so they tend to get stretched out and I sometimes need to replace them before they are worn out.

Osprey Sea Kayak always has the CG gaskets in stock.

I have chronic issues with forearm tendons, particularly early in the season and in cold weather. I've learned to downsize a paddle (Ikelos to Cyprus), and just take it easy for a bit if I'm out of shape or just starting to train up for the season. It taks me about 60 hrs of paddling (early in the season) before I feel comfortable the Ikelos won't hurt my forearms. I've also noticed I'm more prone to this injury in the cold, although I believe asket tightness has little to do with it.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Josko, I was paddling with an Ikelos which may have contributed, although I was moving at an easy pace in mild conditions.

One remaining question about gasket placement on the wrist: Do you let the gasket cover your wrist bones (those boney knobs at the end of the radius and ulna), which is where my gasket naturally ends up as I punch through with my hand. Or do you try to get the seal further up the arm, leaving exposed skin in the area where you'd wear a wristwatch?

Wrist seals should be a very comfortable fit, with much lighter contact than most people would think. You should be able to pinch them with your thumb and forefinger and easily lift them off your skin. Jim Braden showed me this years ago on the dry suit he used for scuba diving and paddling. If it works for diving, it will definitely work for paddling. I've been trimming my seals to fit this way for years and it works great.

As for positioning, I put mine as far forward as possible, as I haven't found any difference in comfort. If I feel the need for minor temperature regulation, I may pull them up my arm a couple of inches to expose my wrists.

The CG gaskets are not for everyone - slimmer wrist people tend to get wet when wearing. Also some people find when doing WW or surf that their lower arms are wetter.

That explains it. Ever since having my latex gaskets replaced with CG, my forearms have been getting wet up to the elbow. I'm going back to latex. More comfortable too.

Blaine