Just Wondering

leong

As we all know asymmetrical paddles have a top and a bottom to the paddle blade. Everyday I see many paddles held upside down, usually in the hands of paddlers on sit-on-top recreational kayaks. The interesting thing is that the blades of about 4 out of 5 are upside down (even including those that have writing on the blades). I wonder why this is so? For a random paddle orientation wouldn’t half of the paddles be held correctly, don’t you think?

-Leon (who's puzzled by this)

Bill,

Granted I haven’t conducted a scientific survey. In a statistical sense I’m doing a loose form of continuous sampling.

>>How big is your observational sample size? I hope significantly larger than 5.

On most weekdays I usually notice about a dozen or so paddlers and most paddles are held upside down. On weekend days I’d guess I see more than 50 paddlers with a similar percentage of upside down paddles. This pattern has persisted for several months so the cumulative sample size is now pretty large.

>>Are you more likely to notice someone's paddle is upside down if the writing is also upside down?

Regarding the writing, I don’t think so. Upside down paddles are very obvious to me before I even notice if there’s writing on the blade. In fact, when I confront an “upside down” situation I usually tell the paddler to reverse the paddle so the writing is right side up.

Nevertheless there are some possible bias problems or other reasons for my curious sampling results. For example:
* I might inadvertently double- or even triple-count the same kayaker over several days.
* I might inadvertently notice the upside-down paddles more often than the right-side-up paddles (but I don’t think it has anything to do with any writing on the blades).
* Most of the kayaks are rented. Perhaps paddle-holding instructions at the rental store(s) are wrong.
* I don’t keep an accurate score. But it does seem that roughly 4 out of 5 encounters are with upside down paddles.

-Leon

PS

This is in SE Florida where quite a few recreational bike riders ride on the wrong side (left side) of the road.

Rec paddle manufacturers should put an iPhone holder right at the center of the paddle shaft, and the problem would instantly solve itself. Just like how nobody knew where to put their PDFs until rec boats started including those handy bungee cords on the back deck... :)

As we all know asymmetrical paddles have a top and a bottom to the paddle blade. Everyday I see many paddles held upside down, usually in the hands of paddlers on sit-on-top recreational kayaks. The interesting thing is that the blades of about 4 out of 5 are upside down (even including those that have writing on the blades). I wonder why this is so? For a random paddle orientation wouldn’t half of the paddles be held correctly, don’t you think?

-Leon (who's puzzled by this)

I have this exact same statistics question about my 8-year-old son's pants. They are backwards way more than 50% of the time. If he just isn't paying attention, this number should be 50%, but I think there must be some as yet undiscovered x-factor which is skewing the result disproportionately towards backwards pants.