Great sized (packed size) pot for kayak camping.

jason

Interesting idea, not sure about cooking on plastic though.

Technically, silicone is not a plastic, and not rubber, but a hybrid polymer - had to look it up online. By the way, don't go looking up whether or not it is safe to cook with, because you will find that EVERYTHING you cook with will kill you.....eventually.

Well, funny this should come up. On my list to do is to go to the restaurant supply store and look through and find a rim that would work on a pot/bain that would have heavier grade stainless so that longer cooking food won't burn on. (like quinoa/rice/oatmeal for 8) Currently I am using only one of those and it fits into a standard day hatch and fills the opening and is no taller than it is deep. I think one slightly shorter will be my next pot.

Oh - the reason I am going to look in restaurant supply stores is because the pots are usually handless that are used on the steam tables. Some are odd shapes but traditionally there are a few rounds in different diameters and depths.

I bring 3 pots on a trip with 8 people and the bigger pots ARE actually easier to pack. Everything you bring can fit inside - whether it is your stove, your kitchen roll, or even a dry bag slides right in.

I will let you know what I find although I won't get to it for about a week or so due to work/travel/life/stuff....

Jason,

Thank you for the info on the pots above. What kind and how many pots do you use when cooking group meals? I have been using the MSR Base 2 pot set from REI. (see link below) The pots work well, but always looking for improvements to my process.

Warren

http://www.rei.com/product/783950/msr-base-2-pot-set

My only experience with kayak based group meals is with Suz. If you read her response you will see that Suz has it down to a science.

I have a Jetboil and a MSR wisperlight. With the MSR I have a pot that the MSR just barely packs inside. THe Jetboil is great for making water and not much else, the MSR can cook food for 1-2 people but I am not a huge fan of the MSR pot it's a bit too think. Backpacking pots are really thin to save the wait and thus don't distribute the head like a proper pot. I might have to bring the stove to a cooking supply and see what it will pack into.

Thank you Suz and Jason for your insights!

Although my two pots did the trick for the 12 day Alaska trip, I want to see if I can step it up a notch or two. (Yes, I was able to prepare a yummy chocolate fondue with my two pots!)

Ideally, I would have three different size pots and one fry pan that all nest together and also hold my cup and bowl. They would all work well with my Whisperlite stove and pack easily inside the 8" hatch. And the search is on.........

Warren

Ideally, I would have three different size pots and one fry pan that all nest together and also hold my cup and bowl. They would all work well with my Whisperlite stove and pack easily inside the 8" hatch.

Let me know when the pizza oven gets installed!

We use an outback oven and have made pizza, scones, brownies, etc....

We have the 10" and the 8" versions. The 8" well works for backpacking and for small hatches. It's too small for pizza. The outback oven uses more fuel than cooking a typical meal and if it's windy you need a damn good wind shield. It bakes using convection and trying to bake in the wind is a good way to waste your fuel.

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-oven.html

http://www.bakepacker.com is another option.

You can buy a scorch buster and use your pot as a lid to bake some biscuits but I don't think it would work for pizza.

If you're just looking for some dessert type baked goods you can make drop biscuits in a regular pot.

Edited by Michael_Crouse

I've had pretty good luck with the MSR stainless steel stuff, has a 3 liter pot which is good for groups on a stove. Ditch the cheesey pot grips for a pair of channel locks that do double duty for repairs as well. I don't really trust non-stick stuff unless it's high end, like to keep it simple. To keep things from burning use a scorth buster. http://www.rei.com/product/401120/msr-alpine-3-pot-set http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-oven/outback-oven-parts-and-accessories/scorch-buster-only.html