Werner Ikeleos Paddle - not locking in place

bazzert

I have been mostly using my greenland lately, but use my Ikeleos as a spare, stored in two halves. Trying it out the other day I noticed that it is not locking in place when I join the two halves; they join easily but then I can rotate one blade independent of the other and I can then separate them easily without depressing the button. Obviously not something I would want to rely on. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas what might be wrong. Also any experience with Werner support ? It's a few years old and out of the warranty period. Thanks!

If you haven't been rinsing the paddle thoroughly after each use...even just stored on your deck then I'm guessing that salt has built up...it doesn't take long....I'd suggest running water into the end with the button and working the button while it's being rinsed....you could also try soaking the shaft both halves...in warm water with a little dish soap....and then rinsing with fresh water ...Good luck.

Definitely try what Sal suggested, but if that doesn't work, Werner Customer Service is excellent.

I emailed them this winter when the ferrule on my 7 year old Cyprus kept coming loose and the paddle would come apart, usually when I was rolling. The CR department gave me a RA# AND sent me a brand new, still had the tags on it, Cyprus to use while they repaired mine.

You do have to pay for postage and, if they are sending you a loaner, it's best to use the box the loaner comes in to return your paddle to Werner, but it's definitely worth it.

I got my repaired Cyprus back quickly. It was all cleaned up, too, and Werner put new degree markings on it. Best of all: No charge, and the paddle is long out of warranty.

Hope a simple soak helps your paddle woes, but, again, Werner CR is great.

If the blades are rotating independently when stuck together, then something has come unglued inside the ferrule. (Either the tip of the male end that has all the splines on it, or the bit inside the female end that engages those splines.)

Werner will fix it for much much less than the cost of a new paddle.

<Personally>, I believe the "salt build-up" thing to be myth -- (go on, someone: prove me wrong). I do not bother with rinsing after paddling, although I do wipe down the blades and the male half of my Ikelos at the joint and never have I had any problems. Go on, Baz: send the thing back to those nice Werner people!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sal, Deb, Nate & Christopher!

I spoke to Werner and just shipped my paddle out to them for repair. The estimated cost is ~ $50 plus shipping, and they said they would turn it around in a week. So all told I'll be out ~ $100, which is still better than the almost $500 a replacement would cost. I'll try to treat my repaired paddle better!

Barry.

Ugh! Just spoke with Werner support. They received my paddle but apparently it's "too old" to repair (despite the fact that I told them it was at least 6 years old before I sent it in). They are going to send it back to me. My only thought now is to somehow fuse the two halves to make a one piece paddle, not very convenient but better than none. Good idea or not ? And if so, what's the best adhesive/technique to fusing it ? Thanks for all your help!

Barry.

Ugh! Just spoke with Werner support. They received my paddle but apparently it's "too old" to repair (despite the fact that I told them it was at least 6 years old before I sent it in). They are going to send it back to me. My only thought now is to somehow fuse the two halves to make a one piece paddle, not very convenient but better than none. Good idea or not ? And if so, what's the best adhesive/technique to fusing it ? Thanks for all your help!

Barry.

A little West systems in the inside? If that doesn't work wrapping it with some fiberglass/West systems.

Is it possible to remove the internal ferrule bits and switch to an old school button ferrule?

I have a one piece paddle and I never use it because it's a pain to transport and when I first tried it I realized it was almost impossible to stow on the water so I couldn't switch back to my old paddle. That kept me from getting used to it, it's a shame because it's a nice wooden mitchell paddle.

Barry,

I would not advise committing to a one piece paddle.

It sounds likely you have might two problems at once . If , as you say, the two halves join easily but the blades can rotate independent of each other , thats problem # 1. One or both of the bits at the end of each paddle shaft (male splined bit and female receiving bit inside the other end ) are loose inside the shaft, just as Nate described. This loose piece could then be glued back in place using super glue or epoxy .

The two halves separating without depressing the button is problem # 2, and a fairly common occurrence , and suggests that the locking mechanism (activated by the button) is stuck or broken , and you can try to free it up as Sal described.

I'm surprised though that Werner wouldn't have identified these problems, . It might be be that Werner is committed to repairing their paddles back to factory standards , can't do so in your case (gluing old parts back in place etc ) and won't get into this kind of repair which is sort of funky "non professional' garage work .

​if none of this works: its an inelegant solution but: with each days use you join the two halves and wrap with electricians tape. It'll adequately hold your paddle together for at least the duration of your paddle trip. Ive done this in the field , when the locking mechanism was temporarily stuck open so paddle shafts came apart during use , and it worked fine for the day until I could get home and free up the locking mechanism as Sal described.

Barry.

If you do decide to fuse the two halves together then consider this product --> http://www.fiberfix.com/