Spray skirt tape repair

glad

Some of the tape on the back of the tunnel and around the perimeter of my tunnel is peeling off from the outside. The inside taping is fine.

Is there any flexible glue anyone could recommend to salvage my spray skirt for now?

I have an unopened container of aqua seal and an opened container of Marine goop. Which one, if any is the better choice ?

Thanks,

Karen

OK, Glad, you got your answer: Aquaseal it is!

May I now extend the conversation and ask if anyone has ever thought about spraying their skirt with Scotchguard (or similar)? I keep wondering if this might make the sprayskirt more water-resistant?

Edited by Pintail

I would think a DWR would be a better thing if you wanted to do that. Site here says:

"For most watersports apparel you need a specific type of DWR retreatment product. Many DWR renewal products require you to heat the treated garment in a clothes dryer to “set” the DWR. With our gear that has latex and neoprene in it, that level of heat is a No-No.

You need to use a product like 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, Gear Aid ReviveX Spray-On Water Repellent, Nikwax Spray-On Waterproofing or Nikwax Wash-In Waterproofing that doesn't require high heat to activate the DWR. Follow instructions carefully for best results."

Thank you everyone. Very helpful. I love this kayak community.

And i happen to have a container of aqua seal which is even better. According to the instructions, they recommend storing opened containers in the freezer.

Anyone have any experience with that or how long i could expect a tube to last?

Thanks,

Karen

Yes, I've done the freezer thing. Not sure of the lasting power based on pure time. I've kept one for, dunno, more than a year I think.

It seems mostly a function of whether I manage to keep the tube threads clean (so the top goes on properly). The best way to do this is to squeeze the stuff out onto a paper plate and use it from there with a popsicle stick or something, rather than trying to use it from the tube. Also the gloves already mentioned - change out gluey gloves immediately so you don't transfer glue to the tube.

Once you get glue onto something there is no getting it off (until it dries, when you can rub it off, but that's unhelpful if it's the threads that got fouled). If it does happen, wipe the threads as clean as you can with a cloth. If the cap threads get fouled wipe them, too. Be patient about it - the glue doesn't dry that fast so you don't have to be in a panic to get the cap back on.

When you're done with the glue, advance it into the neck of the tube and put the cover on then put in freezer.

Before using from freezer (or even if not), warm the glue in a cup of hot tap water 10-15 min. Makes it less viscous.

If the glue does set in the neck of the tube, sometimes you can salvage it with a deck screw - screw it into the plug and pull it out with a pair of pliers. You will probably need to really warm the glue well to use it after that, so it comes through the small hole you made in the plug.

Lisa

Great thread! Tons of useful information and timely as I now have a skirt seam repair to do. I have had my $7 tube of Aquaseal about 2 years now and have performed 3 or 4 repairs with it, refreezing it after each use. Has worked great each time.

You might want to try the Seal Cement mentioned above, especially for a seam. It's really remarkable - you just paint it onto the edge of the neoprene (no overlap). 2 coats, wait 10-15 min. between, then stick the two together and get an instant bond that is very strong. Can then sew half-way through the layers on the outside if you want to reinforce it, can tape over on the inside, too, if it's messy. I have the one with the brush and it worked great. Probably a small disposable brush would be a good idea if you get the tube.

If you tape the seam together on the inside with masking tape or duct tape before using the glue, it's easier to line up the edges. You just fold back, using the tape like a hinge, paint the neoprene edges, then fold it back to stick them together. Because you don't get a second chance once it sticks.

• 3 weeks later...